What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server) - General questions / discussion thread 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stop / start did not work but running update did.

I can confirm that unbound plain is working fine with entware update after running unbound update.

No issues on multiple RT-AX86U, and RT-AC86U's either.

It's useful whenever you're connected, regardless of what you do.

It's useful whenever you're connected, regardless of what you do.
Thanks for your answer. I ask you for some clarification on some things. In the past I tried Unbound but then due to DNS leaks etc, I decided to remove it ......... to remove it I had to do a factory reset of the modem. Is there a sure way to possibly remove Unbound without doing all of that?

Thanks for your answer. I ask you for some clarification on some things. In the past I tried Unbound but then due to DNS leaks etc, I decided to remove it ......... to remove it I had to do a factory reset of the modem. Is there a sure way to possibly remove Unbound without doing all of that?

Try option 2 from amtm menu for unbound ["Remove unbound/unbound manager"] - or if using the advanced menu from command line ... take option z which will achieve the same.

You must have had other setup issues with your router if you were compelled to factory reset after uninstalling unbound. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times since unbound was made available and never had that issue.

Always useful to backup settings and the JFFS partition from the webui before making major changes like this.
If the uninstall fails you then you simply restore settings and the JFFS followed by a reboot and all will be well again.

EDIT: As to DNS leak ... accept that you will see your own public ip address as your DNS service if testing [normal and I guess obvious] and that you have set DNS filter under the LAN tab to "router". Never seen a DNS leak with those settings and unbound.

You're welcome. I haven't needed to remove Unbound from any router I installed it on. :)

Try option 2 from amtm menu for unbound ["Remove unbound/unbound manager"] - or if using the advanced menu from command line ... take option z which will achieve the same.

You must have had other setup issues with your router if you were compelled to factory reset after uninstalling unbound. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times since unbound was made available and never had that issue.

Always useful to backup settings and the JFFS partition from the webui before making major changes like this.
If the uninstall fails you then you simply restore settings and the JFFS followed by a reboot and all will be well again.

EDIT: As to DNS leak ... accept that you will see your own public ip address as your DNS service if testing [normal and I guess obvious] and that you have set DNS filter under the LAN tab to "router". Never seen a DNS leak with those settings and un

EDIT: As to DNS leak ... accept that you will see your own public ip address as your DNS service if testing [normal and I guess obvious] and that you have set DNS filter under the LAN tab to "router". Never seen a DNS leak with those settings and unbound.
Later I try to install it. My DNS leaks were due to the fact that I constantly use the VPN and found myself having DNS exposed

Thanks for your answer. I had tried this setup you tell me but I had had problems. I installed Unbound without enabling its DNS firewall because I am already using Diversion. Everything works fine and I have no DNS leaks. I am using the 'exclusive' VPN DNS rules and forcing all traffic into the VPN tunnel. I did 5 reboots and I don't have DNS exposed despite not using these scripts that you indicated to me

Thanks for your answer. I had tried this setup you tell me but I had had problems. I installed Unbound without enabling its DNS firewall because I am already using Diversion. Everything works fine and I have no DNS leaks. I am using the 'exclusive' VPN DNS rules and forcing all traffic into the VPN tunnel. I did 5 reboots and I don't have DNS exposed despite not using these scripts that you indicated to me
if you're not seeing any DNS leaks when using (ipleak.net or dnsleaktest.com) than you're gtg. Disregard the link provided. Enjoy unbound!

I don't see any DNS displays, Unbound works fine. I am not using the Unbound DNS firewall because I have also installed Diversion. Everything seems to me to be fine. I also did a test by crashing the VPN tunnel and the VPN_failover script restarted the VPN. Even after this event, no DNS is exposed

I am not using the Unbound DNS firewall because I have also installed Diversion. Everything seems to me to be fine.
I thought the DNS Firewall was more like Skynet, and Diversion more like the builit in adblocker in Unbound. I recently streamlined and only use Unbound with both DNS firewall and adblock on, has been working great.

I thought the DNS Firewall was more like Skynet, and Diversion more like the builit in adblocker in Unbound. I recently streamlined and only use Unbound with both DNS firewall and adblock on, has been working great.
You can use both unbound DNS firewall and Skynet with Diversion. In fact...some recommend using all 3. Its been discussed numerous times in the original unbound thread.

You can use both unbound DNS firewall and Skynet & Skynet. In fact...some recommend using all 3. Its been discussed in numerous times in the original unbound thread.
That was not my point and I've read those threads. I was commenting on the OP I quoted who equated the DNS firewall to Diversion, not Skynet.

That was not my point and I've read those threads. I was commenting on the OP I quoted who equated the DNS firewall to Diversion, not Skynet.
Sure....im also commenting that all 3(Unbound firewall/ diversion /skynet) can be use together without issues.

I also activated the Unbound DNS firewall, now I am using it together with Diversion and Skynet. Everything works fine, I have no exposed DNS

Everything works fine but I point out an anomaly. Using AMTM's reboot function I restart the router every morning at 4:01 am, everything restarts without problems. If I go to see under Addons> Unbound, the unbound operation graph is frozen at 4:05, that is when the router is completely restarted. If I do an 'update stats' then the graph resumes normal operation
@Jack Yaz @Martineau

Attachments

• Firefox_Screenshot_2021-07-15T05-50-28.458Z.png
    Firefox_Screenshot_2021-07-15T05-50-28.458Z.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Firefox_Screenshot_2021-07-15T05-52-16.492Z.png
    Firefox_Screenshot_2021-07-15T05-52-16.492Z.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited: