What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes it appears to stick at first and then a couple of minutes later it goes back to 'No' (this is after hitting apply). I'm assuming whenever it goes back to 'No' unbound isn't working. I am also using ntpmerlin. Weird

Yes it appears to stick at first and then a couple of minutes later it goes back to 'No' (this is after hitting apply). I'm assuming whenever it goes back to 'No' unbound isn't working. I am also using ntpmerlin. Weird
ntpmerlin will disable the firmware NTP server. So it's a known conflict identified today.

I'd say its expected ;-)
Code:
NTP_Firmware_Check(){
ENABLED_NTPD="$(nvram get ntpd_enable)"
if ! Validate_Number "" "$ENABLED_NTPD" "silent"; then ENABLED_NTPD=0; fi
if [ "$ENABLED_NTPD" -eq 1 ]; then
    Print_Output "true" "Built-in ntpd is enabled and will conflict, it will be disabled" "$WARN"
    nvram set ntpd_enable=0
    nvram set ntpd_server_redir=0
    nvram commit
    service restart_time
    service restart_firewall
    return 1
else
    return 0
fi
}

Is anyone having a problem with setting 'Enable local NTP server=YES' sticking? All other settings can be changed just fine, I keep notching this change to 'No' and then throw a warning in unbound manager.

AC68U
I was going to say, No, no problem on my RT-AC68U, but I double checked and that local BTP Server setting was back at No. i had no problem during the setting-up stage and no idea anything had changed. SoI called up unbound_mamager and invoked Option i again. The router pre-reqs test was all green.

Now, some 10 minutes later, that NTP setting has indeed gone back to No. And I definitely did Apply the changed router setting change back to Yes.

Still trying to understand unbound and how it works.

Was curious though, has anyone installed Unbound and currently using a VPN? Any issues to report?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Marin I use OpenVPN while running Unbound on both routers I connect with. No issues at all.

However, I suspect you're asking about a commercial VPN service? I hope others can answer that for you soon. :)

@Marin I use OpenVPN while running Unbound on both routers I connect with. No issues at all.

However, I suspect you're asking about a commercial VPN service? I hope others can answer that for you soon. :)

Yes, I use NordVPN and was just wondering if anyone had any experiences to share yet. Was also thinking about attempting to take advantage of IPv6 with Unbound but then I found out that this is not possible with NordVPN just yet (although their FAQs state that it is slated for implementation later this year). So will stick with IPv4 for now and perhaps experiment with NordVPN and Unbound later this week to see how things go.

@Martineau a request, please? Could we have the 'advanced' and 'easy' options 'sticky'?

If I enter advanced, I have the full/proper menu. If I then 'e' exit, and then go back with '7' in the amtm menu (even within the same amtm and/or PuTTY session), it is back to the easy menu.

Thank you for considering this. :)

I had better luck with the unbound installation last night. One of the issues I was having earlier in the week is my openvpn-events were not being logged to system log when bouncing VPN Clients. That issue appears to have gone away.

x3mRouting appears to work okay from my testing. I am using unbound + dnsmasq + diversion.

The one issue I am experiencing is I can't connect to my VPN providers OpenVPN server in Los Angeles. It is unable to resolve the host name. It works fine if I change the client configuration to use another location on the left coast though.

Code:
RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: vpnserver-name:1215 (Name or service not known)
Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol

Last edited:
Happened during simple install:

screenshot-2020-02-09-at-20-43-53.png

I think 'nobody' is a Linux 'user' that has special powers and needed/required for certain scripts (I believe, for security).

I'd say its expected ;-)
Code:
NTP_Firmware_Check(){
ENABLED_NTPD="$(nvram get ntpd_enable)"
if ! Validate_Number "" "$ENABLED_NTPD" "silent"; then ENABLED_NTPD=0; fi
if [ "$ENABLED_NTPD" -eq 1 ]; then
    Print_Output "true" "Built-in ntpd is enabled and will conflict, it will be disabled" "$WARN"
    nvram set ntpd_enable=0
    nvram set ntpd_server_redir=0
    nvram commit
    service restart_time
    service restart_firewall
    return 1
else
    return 0
fi
}
one of those on-the-fly creations. :cool::cool::cool:

I think 'nobody' is a Linux 'user' that has special powers and needed/required for certain scripts (I believe, for security).
Indeed "nobody" is a "built in" pseudo user with (preferably) the least permission on the system. Running vulnerable services as nobody is a good idea, because the reduced rights on its own can already limit the scope of the of the security breach.
Linux systems usualy have the "nobody" user and the "nogroup" group built in for this reason, but entware only has "nobody".

Yes, I use NordVPN and was just wondering if anyone had any experiences to share yet. Was also thinking about attempting to take advantage of IPv6 with Unbound but then I found out that this is not possible with NordVPN just yet (although their FAQs state that it is slated for implementation later this year). So will stick with IPv4 for now and perhaps experiment with NordVPN and Unbound later this week to see how things go.

I'm using NordVPN on two VPN clients running simultaneous connections to different servers. When I get home tomorrow, I will test Unbound and see how it goes, as I've been interested in this project for a while. Any issues, I'll probably be posting up here for help anyway!

The only problem I can foresee is potentially breaking how NordVPN's proxy DNS works, which I believe they use in order to circumvent the geo-blocks services like Netflix use.

Hey my friend, I use Torguard and I have zero problems with unbound and OVPN clients. I haven't enabled my OVPN server yet though.

I'm using NordVPN on two VPN clients running simultaneous connections to different servers. When I get home tomorrow, I will test Unbound and see how it goes, as I've been interested in this project for a while. Any issues, I'll probably be posting up here for help anyway!

The only problem I can foresee is potentially breaking how NordVPN's proxy DNS works, which I believe they use in order to circumvent the geo-blocks services like Netflix use.
You'll have to Accept DNS Configuration = Exclusive in the OpenVPN Client screen to use NordVPN DNS. You can use unbound over the OpenVPN tunnel by setting Accept DNS Configuration = Disabled. But since NordVPN uses their DNS as a proxy, you won't be able to stream using the tunnel. You can still use unbound for any traffic you route to the WAN.

You'll have to Accept DNS Configuration = Exclusive in the OpenVPN Client screen. You can still use unbound over the tunnel by setting Accept DNS Configuration = Disabled. But since NordVPN uses their DNS as a proxy, you won't be able to stream using the tunnel. You can still use unbound for any traffic you route to the WAN.
I use accept dns config disabled and then use dnsfilter to designate what dns I want in the tunnel. I need cloudflare so I use 1.1.1.1 in the custom 1 field of dnsfilter and it works awesome.