What's new

Unexpected DNS behavior

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LearningAsIGo

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am running Asuswrt-Merlin version 384.18, with two VPN clients running at the same time, using Policy Rules to assign devices to each.

I also have Enable DNS-based Filtering set to On, with Global Filter Mode set to Router.

When I set a device's IP to go via WAN interface by Manually Assigned IP under LAN -> DHCP Server, and also set its DNS server to be an external DNS server, 8.8.8.8, I get an unexpected result: when I do a DNS leak test on the device, it gives me my WAN/ISP's IP as expected, but DNS IP is from VPN client 2 instead of anything related to 8.8.8.8.

The only way I can get 8.8.8.8 to be used on the device is to add it to the Client List under DNSFilter and set its Filter Mode to a Custom that I have set as 8.8.8.8.

Has anyone got any ideas why (a) just setting it to 8.8.8.8 under LAN -> DHCP Server manual assignment is not enough, and (b) how/why it uses VPN client 2 if I don't use the Custom setting in DNSFilter? That just seems totally random!

Not sure if it is relevant, but under VPN client 1 I have added the router itself to use the WAN interface as I have seen that in this forum as being a recommended setting.

Any help would be much appreciated.