What's new

UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point Right choice for upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ulaganath

Very Senior Member
Its now available for me locally UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point.

It does give good speed 2400 on ax and 1.7 on ac as well. Not sure if i miss 4800 on regular router 8x8 . Though the site claims 300+ concurrent max clients.

Is that technically feasible when router's even top end routers not claiming more than 40+ client . I have edge router's as i am aware AP doesnt do routing and it needs router.

Just airtime feasibility for even 40 clients crunching for more data. But the AP does support VHT and HE 160 on both AC/AX but its 1gb lan fully duplex which makes sense 2gig still possible.

I might loose from regular router ax would be LAN ports especially multi-gig but i current dont have any device to claim everything is 1gig and lan aggregation which i think netgear or asus not sure if hardware based or software . Dual wan not a big deal as edge router can combine 2 which even i add another ISP.
1616814993319.png

1616815010531.png

Only concern is it may only be only1 year warranty and if it fails after 1 or 2 years would be little risk.

As you can see within the datasheet, the Unifi 6 Long Range supports 802.11ax with its 5 Ghz radio only, but not when your devices connect to it with 2.4 Ghz. The reason for this is that Unifi decided to use a Mediatek MT7915 for 5 GHz, so you have 802.11ax with 4x4:4 MU-MIMO for 5 GHz but Unifi put in a Mediatek MT7603 with 802.11n and 4x4:4 MIMO for 2.4 GHz

Yes i did notice that. But 2.4ghz what would be difference when its ax and client is only 2x2 compared to N. Also when client can connect to 5ghz as most ax devices will support dual band it make sense as ax is more of throughput with range .

It will be interesting to see difference though

Yes i did notice that. But 2.4ghz what would be difference when its ax and client is only 2x2 compared to N. Also when client can connect to 5ghz as most ax devices will support dual band it make sense as ax is more of throughput with range .

It will be interesting to see difference though
Well, if you have some walls between your clients and your laptop your clients will probably connect with 2.4 Ghz, not 5.0 Ghz.

802.11n is the grandmother of 802.11ax
wlan.png

Source: https://indevis.de/en/file-download/download/public/1402

Its known fact 2.4ghz was n but with 4 antenna they cant hit 800 or more bandwidth is quite interesting. As my current r7800 support 800Mbps on N which is very rare as no such client exist. Other than say R7800 or similar repeater from netgear or other brand. But i have tested that with other brand repeater and it can hit 700Mbps mark on N

So N is good to have and most IOT and other will best suited for N other than media devices which needs AC or AX for effective transfer.

I just noticed until WiFi 5 2.4 band on n only and bandwidth is based on modulation used max was 800 Mbps now ax support on both 2.4 and 5Ghz now axe support on 6GHZ would be quite interesting on range test when compared to ac wave 2 and ax 5Ghz vs 6Ghz

Okay an update got the AP

Speed difference is there instead of 867 Mbps now it connects at 1.2gbps . In Iper3 i get peak 756 and avg 690 ish to 730.

I did the same with wifi-5 ac its hit max 550Mbps on ac . Since the iphone SE 2020 doesnt support VHT or HE i cant test the absolute max.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!