What's new

UniFi Dream Machine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
Anybody have one? It seems to be an all in one router device which allows secondary wireless APs. This sounds like a good idea for people who want an wireless router. I believe the controller software is on the device which runs the other wireless APs. This may be good for larger houses. I would like to hear more about it. It seems interesting.

Great design, no 802.11ax support, orphaned product before it's released, costs more than ubiquiti router plus ap combined. Stolen name from an old Sony alarm clock!

Last edited:
To tell the truth I don't think I am going to jump on 802.11ax when it first comes out. I am going to wait a while and maybe take advantage of the not ax products and buy 3 better Cisco wireless APs when they are discounted.

I would like the Cisco APs which can handle a 100 people or more per AP. After purchase I am going to connect the APs to my network at higher than 1 gig connections. Just so I can network them at a higher rate than 1 gig. I will look at 2.5 gig ports.

Last edited:
I would like the Cisco APs which can handle a 100 people or more per AP.
And what per user bandwidth are you planning on provisioning and at what channel bandwidth?

Just for fun. I still can't get a gig internet connections. AT&T strung fiber through our city but they are only putting it in the new neighborhoods. Maybe some day.

And this is if I find a deal when AX comes out.

Last edited:
The current USG lineup doesn't provide enough bandwidth for IPS/IDS on the higher bandwidth connections that are available nowadays. Other solutions are passing them up on this big time. The Dream Machine can do 700 Mbps with both IPS and IDS turned on. The rumor mill is saying that we'll be getting new USGs (routers sans WIFI) to follow this up. If this pans out, you'll soon be able to buy a newer USG that supports high bandwidth IPS/IDS and then add on their separate wireless APs at your leisure. Then you can swap in 802.11AX APs once Ubiquiti releases them and the clients become more prevalent.

The Dream Machine is geared for a AIO router replacement for consumer folks using Asus or Netgear consumer routers. NOT current Ubquiti hardware users.

The UDM runs a new ground up OS as its built in controller. It can not be manged by an existing external controller.

The OS has some very bad bugs and is VERY much in a beta (more like alpha) stage of testing, according to the "Early Access" forums.

As for myslef, having made the switch from a single Asus AC86U to a ER-4 and a dedicated switch and Unifi NanoHD AP....I very much like the separate component setup and performance ad reliability.

Anyone buying this now that it's available for purchase for all?

So it is an IPS/IDS device? This will be a much better home firewall than running a consumer router. Is it fast and stable?

Wow. I think they are raising the bar for the home router. I like it. Now we need someone to test it.

Wow. I think they are raising the bar for the home router. I like it. Now we need someone to test it.

Unifi has always been stated as business/professional and NOT for home use.

Go check out the GUI/OS in the demo , there are very few home users that are going to cope with all the settings for this kit. It is way beyond the average person and could lead to less, not more security if not properly configured.

Unifi has always been stated as business/professional and NOT for home use.

Go check out the GUI/OS in the demo , there are very few home users that are going to cope with all the settings for this kit. It is way beyond the average person and could lead to less, not more security if not properly configured.

Maybe we need someone to come up with a simple setup for the home user that people on this forum could use. This device has way more depth and capability than a home router. This router will also probably have the best setup for running multiple wireless units for larger homes. To me it is better but you are right we need a simple setup for the average users.

This is going to be so much better for advanced users vs writing little scripts to try and do advanced features. The advanced features are going to be already available.

Last edited:
And for those who want a 10Gb interface and something rackable, they'll also have the Dream Machine Pro (still in the Early Access store for now):
UDMPro.png

Not sure what the price difference will be between UDM Pro and UDM’s $300 MSRP, but for those wanting to avoid buying a WiFi router lacking WiFi 6 protocol for future proofing, the UDM Pro gives other features like 10G SFP+ and rack mountable instead.

Dying to read some good reviews and hear some detailed pros/cons from users who have taken the plunge on the UDM.

Right... how is the 5GHz range on the UDM vs say an R7800? They may make it so so and just recommend adding switches and access points?

Right... how is the 5GHz range on the UDM vs say an R7800? They may make it so so and just recommend adding switches and access points?

I don't think you need to add a switch just add a wireless AP for the larger homes. Distant does not really matter if you can add a second AP which works well. Distant is important to consumer routers because second wireless APs don't work very well. I believe the controller software is built-in to run multiple wireless APs so they should work well.