What's new

Upgrade from RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nogi

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,
I've had my trusty RT-AC68U for years now, but I think its time to upgrade.

Since having 1Gbps Fiber installed I really dont think the router can handle saturating the full speed at times when I have many devices connected to the router and a VPN running on it.

Would anyone recommend the BEST upgrade to go to from here? preferbaly would like to stick to ASUS and the Merlin firmware but not a complete deal breaker.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

I can highly recommend the AC86U or AX86U if cost allows. Some users have reported issues with the 86U but I have not experienced any issues at all. Both have been as stable as my trusty old AC68P which also served me well for several years.

The RT-AX86U is your best bang for the buck w/RMerlin support today. :)

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Even the RT-AX68U is (much) above the once venerable RT-AC86U.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

Both, with RMerlin 386.5.1, are beasts. With the RT-AX86U considerably more 'future-proof' and easily worth the money if the budget allows today.

So RT-AX86U is th best currently? not too concered about price.

I thought the RT-AX88U would have been a new model to the 86?

Thanks for all the replies all.

The RT-AX88U is about two years older.

I thought the RT-AX88U would have been a new model to the 86?

Asus router models are like suggestion what newer direct replacement model is:

AC88U -> AX88U
AC86U -> AX86U
AC68U -> AX68U

The model number is unrelated to performance or introduction to the market year.

So is the AX86U the flagship best option with best features, disregarding price?

No. It's one of the popular price/performance options around.

GT-AX6000 is latest and greatest dual-band model with faster CPU and 2x 2.5GbE ports. No Asuswrt-Merlin for this one yet. GT-AX11000 and GT-AXE11000 are also higher-end tri-band models. Both are supported by Asuswrt-Merlin.

The currently known flagship (unreleased so far in 2022) is the GT-AXE16000, along with the similarly hardware-equipped (CPU/RAM/FLASH) GT-AX6000, (with the former boasting twelve vs. four antennae, the additional 6GHz band, and the dual 10GbE Ports).