What's new

Upgrade Routers or Not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wah00kid

Occasional Visitor
I am moving next month and wondering how my current config will handle the new place.

Right now I have starlink Internet avg 120mbps down. Rt-ac3100 is my hub with 3 hard wired rt-ac1900 as nodes. My main runs Merlin. My current apartment is 2300 sqft but very sprawling with foot thick walls and my current mesh network runs great. Two cellphones with a freenas server and usually one 1 streaming at a time. Lots of smart wifi bulbs and google hub devices. Everything runs great without problems.

Ok so new house will be fiber 1gb for cheaper than starlink. Home is a standard 2story family house. About the same size 2300 sqft but each floor is right on top. Small back yard that would be great to cover .25 acre.

I don't plan on adding many devices. It doesn't seem like I will need that many nodes so perhaps I could sell them and consolidate.

Will the rt-ac3100 handle the gb speeds fine??

Given that, just integrate the existing/working network with the new ISP and save the upgrade for later... after the move. One less thing to muck around with.

OE

I am moving next month and wondering how my current config will handle the new place.

Right now I have starlink Internet avg 120mbps down. Rt-ac3100 is my hub with 3 hard wired rt-ac1900 as nodes. My main runs Merlin. My current apartment is 2300 sqft but very sprawling with foot thick walls and my current mesh network runs great. Two cellphones with a freenas server and usually one 1 streaming at a time. Lots of smart wifi bulbs and google hub devices. Everything runs great without problems.

Ok so new house will be fiber 1gb for cheaper than starlink. Home is a standard 2story family house. About the same size 2300 sqft but each floor is right on top. Small back yard that would be great to cover .25 acre.

I don't plan on adding many devices. It doesn't seem like I will need that many nodes so perhaps I could sell them and consolidate.

Will the rt-ac3100 handle the gb speeds fine??
You don't have to upgrade. That's enough.