What's new

Upgrade to Merlin on my RT-AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anders Stensland

New Around Here
Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading my RT-AC86U router to the Merlin firmware, but before I do I have a few questions I am hoping the community can help me out with.

But before my questions, some information on my usage of the router. I have a Gamer PC and a dedicated server I use as FTP server (win2019), so there are a lot of port forwarding configured on the router. I also have the built in VPN server enabled and I connect to this when abroad so that I can keep my IP address. Of course it also functions as a wireless router in my house, including a guest wifi. Other than that I don't use any fancy functionality.

Based on this I have a few questions:

1. Will upgrading from the original ASUS firmware (version 3.0.0.4.384.45717) give me anything? Better Performance? Stability?

2. If I upgrade, can I do a direct upgrade and will the existing configuration be persisted?

3. If question 2 is no, can I import a saved configuration from the original ASUS firmware?

Appreciate all the information I can get on this :)

Thanks, I just found that myself.
Then I guess that, based upon my usage of the router, upgrading to Merlin is a good idea as the it seems the Merlin firmware enhances the original firmware. Anyone know the answer to question 2 and 3?
You will need to do a factory reset after upgrading to Merlin from stock firmware and enter the settings manually. Take screen shots a screen capture tool like snipit and save to disk.

You should only restore from a saved configuration backup file if the router firmware is the same version that was installed on the router when the backup was taken.

You will need to do a factory reset after upgrading to Merlin from stock firmware and enter the settings manually. Take screen shots a screen capture tool like snipit and save to disk.

You should only restore from a saved configuration backup file if the router firmware is the same version that was installed on the router when the backup was taken.

Ok, thanks!

Thanks, I just found that myself.
Then I guess that, based upon my usage of the router, upgrading to Merlin is a good idea as the it seems the Merlin firmware enhances the original firmware. Anyone know the answer to question 2 and 3?

Settings will persist if you do a so called "dirty upgrade", i.e. just upgrading firmware. Some things might be weird though. Difficult to tell what if one does not compare release notes.

You will find more information here.
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Installation.
Such as...
  • It is not recommended to restore settings saved under a different firmware version. It might work, but there is no guarantee.
Best would be to write down the settings that you have adjusted or get it as a text file.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/text-config-file.42671/

Since your current version is 45717 and that version is what Merlin 384.12 is based on, you can try to upgrade without reset. But if anything behaves strangely or unpredictably, reset to defaults.

save your running config as very first step!
Then you can load Merlin and you can everytime go back to what you have now, load AsusWRT again, reset to defaults and load your config.
So you are on the save side if you get problems and need your network running.