What's new

Upgraded to 3.0.0.5.354 and now I can't map network drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

infamous_pb

Occasional Visitor
I upgraded to 3.0.0.5.354 and now I can't get access to the USB drive when its connected to the router. When I try to open the map drive I had created before, it says, "Restoring Network Connection - An error occurred when reconnecting to Z: to \\(the USB drive...) Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.

When I try to create a new mapped drive from that USB drive connected to the router, it doesn't list the router as it always has before.

The media server works to my other devices, but I cannot access the USB drive (unless I unplug it from the router and plug it into the computer). It all worked fine before the firmware update!

What do I do?!

I enabled FTP and I am able to access it through the FTP, but why can't I map like before? I don't want to have to use FTP. Didn't have it enabled before. I cant see any settings that would help/hinder this. Did this new firmware do something to it? Can I roll back a firmware?

downgraded to 3.0.0.4.270 and it still doesn't work.

What gives? Can't map - doesn't see it. But other devices see the DNLA server, but won't see it as a network server like it always has before.

What gives? Can't map - doesn't see it. But other devices see the DNLA server, but won't see it as a network server like it always has before.

I also could not access my USD devices after installing 5.354.
But when I flashed RMerin's FW 270.26b back, all is working fine again...

Sharing names might have been modified by the FW upgrade. Try resetting everything related to sharing and reconfiguring your shares.

1) Over telnet, run this command:
Code:
nvram set smbd_shares=""

2) On your USB disk, delete the config files related to sharing (can also be done over telnet):
Code:
rm /mnt/*/.__*

Then reboot your router, and reconfigure your shares.

Sharing names might have been modified by the FW upgrade. Try resetting everything related to sharing and reconfiguring your shares.

1) Over telnet, run this command:
Code:
nvram set smbd_shares=""

2) On your USB disk, delete the config files related to sharing (can also be done over telnet):
Code:
rm /mnt/*/.__*

Then reboot your router, and reconfigure your shares.

How do I access the router via telnet? What do I do? I have the Microsoft Windows Telnet client screen open. Now what?

Nevermind.... figured it out.

Did the:
nvram set smbd_shares=""
and
rm /mnt/*/.__*

Still doesn't work.... Any other ideas?

This will erase all your share settings. Did you reboot and reconfigure them as mentionned?

This will erase all your share settings. Did you reboot and reconfigure them as mentionned?

I did everything you said. I rebooted. It still remembered all my settings...

I reset the router to factory default. I then tried mapping the drive. It won't automatically see it (like it has before). But if I manually type it in, it works. However, if I restore the router from previous settings, it then won't let me type in to manually map a drive (it refuses to see it). But under USB Application / Miscellaneous Settings, if I change the name of the Device Name to something else, then it will manually let me map a drive (but it still does not automatically see it). So, I managed to get it mapped at least...

HOWEVER... it won't let me access the network through another device (such as WD TV Live). Yes - the DNLA works, but if I change the source from Media Server to Network Share (as I have before), and select Windows Shares, it will see the router (GOOD!), but it asks for a username and password. I've tried anonymous and I've tried the same admin login for the router - none will work.

EDIT:
I reset the router to default again. Everything works after resetting to default. I'm deleting my router save configs and reconfiguring the router. The new firmware must have did something strange to my previous configs. Dunno, but at least its all working for now!

Last edited:
Hi,
If I remember correct at the end of new f/w upload it says manually reboot the router.
Instead of using reboot button, I power off the router and back up to reboot as told.
After that all is fine. I can map my DAS or USB stick w/o any problem.

Hi,
If I remember correct at the end of new f/w upload it says manually reboot the router.
Instead of using reboot button, I power off the router and back up to reboot as told.
After that all is fine. I can map my DAS or USB stick w/o any problem.

I had already done that and still had the same problem. Only restoring to factory defaults fixed it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!