What's new

upgrading router from GT-AC5300 to ZenWifi AX (XT8)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rsunny2012

Regular Contributor
Hello,

currently i stay in 3 floored town home with Two GT-AC5300 routers which is placed in 2nd floor and 3rd floor and are connected each other with wired ethernet backhaul and are in Aimesh configuration
currently there are about 45 devices being connected to both the routers (security cameras, alexa devices tv, laptops ipads etc). except in my garage ( 2.4 ghz signal is better then 5ghz signal) all other areas i have full 100% connection.
i am planning to upgrade these 2 routers to mesh device ZenWifi AX (XT8) and connect both satellite and router using ethernet backhaul
Am i going in right step of upgrading the router or is the technology same behind both the devices ( GT-AC5300, ZenWifi AX (XT8))
Am i taking the right step to upgrade the router or not ?

Please give me suggestions

PS: i dont have any latest AX client devices yet

First of all, I think your current router and node is enough for now as you don't have Wifi 6 devices yet.

The choosing of XT8 will be recommend if you just want to use wireless backhaul.

If not, your GT-AC5300 still the best to keep using.

After this, if you want to upgrade phone, just get the Wifi 6E supported devices and get Wifi 6E router like GT-AXE11000.

"all other areas I have full 100% connection."

Save your money. :)

You're set to ride out the current batch of AX routers and can jump right into Wi-Fi 6E (if it proves worthwhile, of course) next summer/fall.

So, now where will you spend your cash? :D

My two cents ;-)

1 cent:
Stay far away from the XT8. I am returning mine today after extensive troubleshooting with Asus and myself. Waste of my precious time! LoL

2 cent:
Yeah, no need to upgrade right now, listen to the replies here.
Wait for the 6E routers to come. They are almost here.
Current implementation of 160 MHz is junk. You "need" the next gen - 6E

Thank you very much for all the advice above, $700 saved ( XT8 is on special in Australia now, and our RRP is 999 AUD....far more expenseive comparing to US)

Thank you very much for all the advice above, $700 saved ( XT8 is on special in Australia now, and our RRP is 999 AUD....far more expenseive comparing to US)

The advice so far is good IMHO, but just in case your as weak as I am when it comes to buying routers Wireless1 has the two pack on special for AU$650.
It seems my experience with the XT8s is not the same as many others, but I've only used them as AiMesh nodes to my GT-AX11000 and they mostly work fine for me.

I have had a couple of problems lately, having had them out of service for a while when I got them out again one went into a boot loop, left it powered on and booting over night and it was fine the next morning, and I was seeing disconnects from my washing machine with the latest firmware, had to go back a couple of revisions ...

Overall I like'em, at least as AiMesh nodes anyway.

I too am a fan of the XT8, once I figured out my Lan topography so I could use the ethernet backhaul.

I have the ZenWifi XT8 router sitting next to the ISP modem with an XT8 node one floor up and another 2 floors up, all connected via ethernet. I used the setting 'Backhaul connection priority' on both nodes set to '1G wan first' . Very stable and near full bandwidth across the entire house. All previous wifi / mesh setups (denovo, amplifi HD mesh, a mixture of XT8 and RT-68U, etc...) never came anywhere close. YMMV

I love my 2 XT8 too, both as aimesh node with an AX88U as router, no problem at all (wired backhaul), but in your case, what is your goal in upgrading ? You seem to have what you need, so save your money, and when you'll have new phone/computer/... then at this moment you could search for the lastest node.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!