What's new

upgrading to AX-88U from AC-86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Revelstone77

Regular Contributor
I dont suppose that i can save the config from the 86 and apply it to the 88 without causing any problems, can I? It's just that I have a lot of reservations, mainly for IP cameras that I really dont want to hard code in again.

thanks

You can do it. No guarantees it will work past a few days/weeks though.

Save your settings to a text file and copy/paste them back or try the link below.

thanks much. very helpful. I think I will give it a try since I'm not trying to fix a problem. I can always go back to the 86U if I start seeing issues.

thanks much. very helpful. I think I will give it a try since I'm not trying to fix a problem. I can always go back to the 86U if I start seeing issues.
If you do try and import your old config file from the other router try to ensure that both routers are running the same firmware version before saving and restoring.

I'm assuming both routers are running stock firmware. If you're running Merlin on one or both of them then it's unlikely to work properly.

Last edited:
running the same version of Merlin on both. We'll see what happens. Will probably try this afternoon.

Ironically, I "downgraded" from AX88U to ax86u and I couldn't be happier

PrhFlBr.jpg

Why the downgrade? I had no issues with mine, I just needed more ports. Also, since it appears that my 87u is no longer getting updates from Merlin, I can replace it with the 86u and use aimesh.

Uhm, 'working' from home? The images show otherwise... :D :D :D

Uhm, 'working' from home? The images show otherwise... :D :D :D

Perks of the job. They bought me dual 4k monitors and office chair and Bluetooth keyboard set because we are very busy doing covid 19 research and prediction modeling

So far, so good. 4 days and counting. The only issue I had was with my VPN client. Had to import the ovpn config file again and all was good. Everything else has worked perfectly.

So far, so good. 4 days and counting. The only issue I had was with my VPN client. Had to import the ovpn config file again and all was good. Everything else has worked perfectly.

Did that continue to work for you importing your config from your AC86U to your AX88u.?

My AX88u will arrive soon, to replace my 86U. I had not considered the possibility of importing the config as even being a working option.

Did that continue to work for you importing your config from your AC86U to your AX88u.?

My AX88u will arrive soon, to replace my 86U. I had not considered the possibility of importing the config as even being a working option.
Working perfectly. Not a single glitch. The only issue I had was I had to reload the vpn profile for the vpn client.

Working perfectly. Not a single glitch. The only issue I had was I had to reload the vpn profile for the vpn client.

Thanks, I hope to use the 88U as the primary router and the 86U with the AI Mesh wired function. With Smart Connect enabled I hope to have a single SSID over our house.
Do you use std firmware or Merlins...?

Thanks, I hope to use the 88U as the primary router and the 86U with the AI Mesh wired function. With Smart Connect enabled I hope to have a single SSID over our house.
Do you use std firmware or Merlins...?
I’ve been using nothing but Merlin’s for years now. Good luck!

Why the downgrade? I had no issues with mine, I just needed more ports. Also, since it appears that my 87u is no longer getting updates from Merlin, I can replace it with the 86u and use aimesh.

You are exactly like me. I have one AC87U and a AC86U, Replaced the AC86U with the AX88U...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!