What's new

UPnP - Multiple Xbox One Gaming Consoles & NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What did NAT status you see on two game consoles when using the GAME Boost mode?

I recommend checking that online NAT tool as Colin suggested to see what is actually being used on the router after you make your changes.

Also when I'm testing and making changes, I first HARD OFF the game consoles, then reboot the router fully after making any changes. Then bring up one console, check dashboard NAT, then in game NAT. Then bring up the 2nd console.

I detailed this test process in my post on badmodems.com. I found this test process to be the best in testing this step by step.

ive been bad really bad I broke upnp with qos and changed my nat type :p, this should disprove that its only gave devs fault. I was playing with adaptive qos and this is the result proving my long time theory that adaptive qos can mess with upnp, I remember before merlins masquerade fix, I used to change qos priorities to get open nat. So ha check mate. :p :p :p :)

With Adaptive qos set to this:

XBOX Nat Type is this:

XBOX Nat type when set to game mode aka one click game boost:

Last edited:
Reboot your console whenever you do such changes. My guess is the problem is with the test itself, not with QoS. Changing QoS mode causes existing forwards to be lost, and the XBox fails to re-create them.
this was a test after the qos had been set to custom for a few hours before the xbox was turned on, as soon an I changed it to gaming, it was fine, ive noticed if I leave it set to gaming, I get a constant open nat.

@Vexira It would be useful if when you were doing those tests you also used the online NAT tester to confirm the results. The Xbox status screen seems so unreliable I wouldn't trust its results alone.

But @FreshJR makes an important point that the only way to actually know what is going on, rather than just speculating, is to dump the iptables rules (iptables-save) after each test and compare them. (And remember to reboot the router followed by the console after each configuration change to clear out any old entries)
ill give it a go and see what happens

What did NAT status you see on two game consoles when using the GAME Boost mode?

I recommend checking that online NAT tool as Colin suggested to see what is actually being used on the router after you make your changes.

Also when I'm testing and making changes, I first HARD OFF the game consoles, then reboot the router fully after making any changes. Then bring up one console, check dashboard NAT, then in game NAT. Then bring up the 2nd console.

I detailed this test process in my post on badmodems.com. I found this test process to be the best in testing this step by step.
open

this was a test after the qos had been set to custom for a few hours before the xbox was turned on, as soon an I changed it to gaming, it was fine, ive noticed if I leave it set to gaming, I get a constant open nat.

Constant "OPEN NAT" as well......

So sounds like something in the routers FW is helping obtain OPEN NAT for two same games being played.

Seems like a FW configuration issue here huh?

This "Game Mode", this a feature I presume that ASUS puts out?
Would be interesting to know what this feature actually is doing.
Seems like it's helping to get a full cone nat which the end is getting OPEN NAT across the board.
Hmmm.

This "Game Mode", this a feature I presume that ASUS puts out?
Would be interesting to know what this feature actually is doing.
From what I've read on Asus' site, in this context Game Mode is just another name for adaptive QoS. So it seems unlikely that it could influence NAT, but I suppose anything is possible. We' know for sure if he did comparative dumps of the iptables rules.

I presume he can do this with Merlin FW?

FYI...I am getting OPEN NAT in COD IW on two PS4 consoles at the same time with current Merlin firmware.

Can you test with two BO3s running?

Haven't tested two of the same games, however I have "OPEN NAT" on two Xbox One game consoles when checking Network Status in Settings.

Can you test with two BO3s running?

Haven't tested two of the same games, however I have "OPEN NAT" on two Xbox One game consoles when checking Network Status in Settings.

Just wanted to let you know that in the update Xbox One will receive this Fall, Microsoft will allow you to change the online gaming port from 3074 to a few others (from a list). This should help make the NAT Open if you have multiple consoles connected to the same router.