What's new

USB to 2.5Gbe adapter on AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

"It may be an Asus thing though?"

Seems to be across the board. People complaining plugged in the USB-C adapter and stuff is still slow as snails. Then they reversed the orientation of the adapter, and bingo, blazing fast. One way it was USB 2, the other USB 3.

I also learned that the same principle is in play for some NAS devices which have USB 3 ports. You can plug in an USB 2.5 or 5.gb adapter into its USB 3 port and with the right chipset the USB adapter is recognized by the NAS in a plug n play fashion. You can add a second or third very high speed LAN port to the NAS easily and cheaply.

Someone who hangs out in RMerlin's stratosphere needs to read that article/steps and make sense of it. At least answer the question if by now all of it is irrelevant cause its already been rolled into the core/kernel of these routers.

The issue here is the price of this adapter. I wouldn't spend $70 or more to speedtest 1Gbps vs 1.2Gbps. No difference in real life Internet use.
I agree it isn't worth the $70 bucks or even the $20 to $30 bucks a 2.5G adapter sells for. I'd be lucky to pull a couple hundred gig bandwidth from the internet even streaming to all my TV's. I'll never use what I'm gaining but we never know what the future holds and it's nice to have in your back pocket. I actually bought the adapter (work did) for something else and was playing around when I figured this out. I'll end up plugging back into the WAN port just to eliminate another hardware link.

I'll end up plugging back into the WAN port just to eliminate another hardware link.

Yes, nothing beats the wire reliability.

He was already using wired.

Definitely something there. I was almost successful before returning my XT8's

Attachments

• Picture5(1).png
    Picture5(1).png
    440.9 KB · Views: 433
Using the same adapter as Vinmar the AX86U recognizes it and the adapter is present.

I can't do a swap for dual wan as two family members who work from home are still working. Can't for about 30 minutes. I first wanted to see if the adapter would be recognized as a LAN port, no dual wan required. If I'm reading the log correctly the answer is sorta but not really. It could be at this juncture some linux script super secret code remember the proper pairing of semi-colons may be required.

It is being recognized as a ethernet port though yes? eth 8? eth 5? I have the 2.5gb port as a lan port. I unplugged it and plugged its cable into the usb adapter. I have 2.5gb clients on that port.

25g.JPG
25g2.JPG

Last edited:
I just did a test on orientation of the USB C connector. One way the connection is 100mbs. The other way 2.5gb. I'm not fully connected as in network, IP coughed up, etc., but the speeds show.

This is what the log said after I did so.

Sep 13 16:50:47 kernel: +++++ BRCM skipping port_feat_c_connection for warm reset
Sep 13 16:50:47 kernel: xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0: Cannot set link state.
Sep 13 16:50:47 kernel: usb usb2-port2: cannot disable (err = -32)
Sep 13 16:50:47 hotplug: remove net eth8.
Sep 13 16:50:50 hotplug: add net eth8.

So eth8 is the USB adapter.

I tried manual IP/DNS/Gateway in one of the 2.5gb clients. No go.

Whatever the router needs to know there's an eth8 and use it as a LAN port, that's what's missing apparently.

Last edited:
What if you use it as WAN and the built-in port as LAN? Should work.

"What if you use it as WAN and the built-in port as LAN?"

Yes. Just couldn't at first.

I'm thinking about AX88U owners who have 2 usb ports. One 2.5gb adapter for USB Modem, one for LAN. I'm sure the "Hey you have another ethernet port use it" code isn't too crazy.

Could you link to the Asus website for this product? Nothing relevant comes up with the amazon link. Ty!

Nope, laptop shoulder bags.

That's crazy. I'm looking right at it. Only one left too.

Asustor | AS-U2.5G2 | USB3.2 Gen 2 Type-C to 2.5GBase-T (RJ-45 2.5 Gigabit LAN) Adapter​

That last post brought me remotes for TVs. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!