What's new

USB WiFi dongle

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dlukanidin

Occasional Visitor
I have a USB FiWi Dongle on RTL8811CU chip. I want to connect it with RT-N16. For this purpose, I need to compile the driver.
Since the source codes of the drivers came along with the adapter, I tried to compile driver myself.

I loaded the asuswt-Merlin's toolchain and source for firmware, made a working version of firmware 378.50 and tried to compile the driver as a separate module. As a result, I had the Warning - 'Unknown symbol "wireless_send_event"' and the same error when tried to execute insmod on the router. After check possible reasons for this error I saw that I need to change the kernel configuration: the option Drivers->Network->Wireless->Wireless Extension need to be enabled.

I tried to do it with "make menuconfig" but after "make clean", "make RT-N16" all changes was disappeared.

First question: how to right set kernel options?

I did the following: "make clean", "make RT-N16", cd to linux-2.6/linux, "make menuconfig" and set option Wireless Extension, cd back to src-rt, "make kernel gen_target image".
But when I tried to upload new firmware to the router, it brick.I loaded old firmware via TFTP, and recovered it.

Second question: how to make working firmware with this option or some idea how to remove 'Unknown symbol "wireless_send_event" error'?

Try setting the option in
./release/src-rt/linux/linux-2.6/config_base

Follow the format used for other options....

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!