What's new

Use custom script for WAN failover

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Groslol

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

I've searched around the forum but didn't find something that match my need (If someone already has this needs, sorry for the doublon). Let me recap the situation:

For like a month now I have a strange issue with my ISP. Everyday, starting to 9 PM (21h) I have like 1Mbit/s on "private" link (For exemple, my NAS, which is 100 km away). Even with this "speedtest" website I encounter the same problem: https://proof.ovh.net/files/ which is not a private link. But almost no problem with GAFAM website etc... So a little tricky to monitor.

In order to prevent that situation in the future (And big error on the ISP side) I've bought an Huawei 4G key to use the double WAN. It works like a charm (Failover + Fallback). My question:

Is it possible to write a custom script (Which I can do simply in bash or almost any other language) and add the option inside merlin WAN failover? (ATM there is only DNS and Ping). Furthermore, as the problem occurs everyday at 9 PM is it possible to write a script that switch the WAN interface? Like with an API or with varset on SSH?

Sorry if the explanation is not clear, feel free to ask more details

Thank you in advance!

Hello everyone,

I've searched around the forum but didn't find something that match my need (If someone already has this needs, sorry for the doublon). Let me recap the situation:

For like a month now I have a strange issue with my ISP. Everyday, starting to 9 PM (21h) I have like 1Mbit/s on "private" link (For exemple, my NAS, which is 100 km away). Even with this "speedtest" website I encounter the same problem: https://proof.ovh.net/files/ which is not a private link. But almost no problem with GAFAM website etc... So a little tricky to monitor.

In order to prevent that situation in the future (And big error on the ISP side) I've bought an Huawei 4G key to use the double WAN. It works like a charm (Failover + Fallback). My question:

Is it possible to write a custom script (Which I can do simply in bash or almost any other language) and add the option inside merlin WAN failover? (ATM there is only DNS and Ping). Furthermore, as the problem occurs everyday at 9 PM is it possible to write a script that switch the WAN interface? Like with an API or with varset on SSH?

Sorry if the explanation is not clear, feel free to ask more details

Thank you in advance!

Like this?

Thanks! I've already found this post but I wouldn't completely bypass the UI as the script seems to have a lot more configuration. I just needed a variable that I can set/unset in order to switch WAN given my specific script. It's not impossible that it's not simple as that but it would be great to have something simpler!

In any case, thanks for the reply!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!