What's new

Using 1 AP vs 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

balforth

Occasional Visitor
So I just got the ASUS RT-N66U and I'm loving it. I currently have the 5GHz radio a dedicated N network and the 2.4ghz radio a dedicated G network.

I have a stack of old routers (Cisco E4200v1, Buffalo high power 802.11g, asus something or other...). Would I get any better performance by shutting off the G network on the RT-N66U and using one of my other routers? Does this matter in any way? There's hardly anything that uses the G network at all, besides the PS3 (which doesn't see very much action these days), our printer, and an IP security video camera.

Sorry, should have read the sticky before I posted.

If the N router has two radios, you will see the slowdown only when mixed clients are associated with the same radio. If N clients are associated with one radio and legacy clients are associated to the other radio, you won't see reduced performance.

Yup, that's it exactly, though I dont see why you'd disable 802.11n on the 2.4 GHz radio. They're two totally separate AP's inside. Many 802.11n devices are 2.4 GHz-only. May as well leave 802.11n enabled. Also, at a distance, 2.4 GHz will perform better (stronger signal).

Leave the 2.4GHz radio in b/g/n mode - newer radios are much better about mixed mode operation...

WPA2/WMM enabled are important though... needed for 802.11n performance.

Leave the 2.4GHz radio in b/g/n mode - newer radios are much better about mixed mode operation...

WPA2/WMM enabled are important though... needed for 802.11n performance.

802.11n rates will also work on an open (unencrypted) network.

I left it at G because all of my N capable devices are 5ghz, but 3 of my devices (ps3, old ipod touch, and ip cam) are only G. So having the 5ghz N and 2.4ghz G works perfect for me.

I left it at G because all of my N capable devices are 5ghz, but 3 of my devices (ps3, old ipod touch, and ip cam) are only G. So having the 5ghz N and 2.4ghz G works perfect for me.

Still no reason not to put it in mixed mode, in case you get an iPhone, a new iPod touch, or any one of the zillions of Windows laptops that are 2.4-GHz only 802.11n

I thought mixed mode yielded worse performance -- that if possible, you should try to run a single mode on one radio?

I thought mixed mode yielded worse performance -- that if possible, you should try to run a single mode on one radio?

It yields worse performance than the higher mode. 802.11b/g/n mixed mode will be slower than 802.11n mode. But it'll be faster (as long as there's at least one n device) than b/g mode.

The biggest thing is both g and n (OFDM) have to slow down a lot for 802.11b clients. The issue may be this, many devices have these modes:

802.11b/g/n mixed
802.11b/g mixed
802.11b only
802.11g only
802.11n only

Notice the lack of a g/n mixed mode? For these devices, it maybe better to run g-only than b/g/n mixed mode. It really depends on your client mix. But if you have g/n mixed mode or if you're running in b/g mixed now, enabling n can only help you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!