What's new

Using asus router as "travel router"?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

devinrhode2

Occasional Visitor
I am trying to use an asus router inside a patients hospital room (friend of the family). The original issue is that their Chromecast Ultra will not connect to the wifi network provided by the hospital (looks like a cisco router). The chromecast will actually work with an iphone hotspot, but patient does not have an iphone. We tried creating a hostpot with a couple different android devices, but none of them work.

I was searching around and found out that maybe what we need is a "travel router".

Our issue is that we need to fill out a simple form to use the hospital wifi. Name, phone number, email, that's it.

Maybe I could hack something a little bit and trick the cisco router into thinking our normal asus router (ac-86u) is an "authenticated" smartphone, by changing the mac address.

I think ideally, the asus router would just have a web browser embedded in it, and I can open some page like browser.asus.com or idk, 192.168.x.x, and this would effectively be a web browser? idk, maybe I need to setup the router as a proxy? We can connect the asus router to the chromecast via ethernet. We can set it up as a repeater. But the asus router doesn't know how to handle the hospital's captive portal.

Maybe the asus router could recognize a captive portal and forward it to other devices which actually have a browser? I'd imagine such a change would be very difficult and take a year+

Use your other device (eg. a cellphone) to complete the login form, then have your router spoof the MAC address of the device sould usually do the trick.

The GL-iNet travel routers do this well. A Mango for $25 is an easy solution.