What's new

Using Bonded Moca 2.0 when there's a TiVo on the network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hungarianhc

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

I upgraded my house to HomePlug AV2 MIMO, and while it's better than Homeplug AV, I'm still not super impressed. I think the house (approx 4,000 sq ft) is too old and too big to get great results w/ that tech. I'd like to try MoCa bonded 2.0, but there are some older TiVos on the network, which I THINK have MoCa 1.0 on them... How can I get the speed of MoCa 2.0 bonded while keeping the TiVos on the network? Note: I don't need / want the TiVos on the MoCa network - they are plugged in w/ ethernet.

Even the latest Roamio last year had old MOCA in it. if MOCA is off do the Tivos affect anything? I'm interested to know more about this. I have a Roamio pro, basic and 2 minis.

I have a pair of ECB6200s (along with an ECB2500C) and have a Roamio Plus, Premiere 4, Premiere, and Mini all working together without any issues. The transfer speed between the two ECB6200s is not affected.

I am using the built-in MoCA on the Romaio Plus, Premiere 4, and Mini. The ECB2500C is used with the standard Premiere as it doesn't have MoCA.

Interesting... I just read the following here:
Full backward-interoperability with devices using MoCA 1.1 protects investments in current equipment. MoCA 1.1-based devices continue to operate at full speed even when MoCA 2.0-based devices are on the network.
I could have sworn that I read someplace that if there are older MoCA devices on a network, the newer devices will work at MoCA 1.1 speeds... no?

I think that if you use a diplexer and run the "cable" output into the Tivos, you should keep them from providing MoCA signals onto the network. Just to be safe I would disable MoCA in your network settings.

Interesting... I just read the following here:

I could have sworn that I read someplace that if there are older MoCA devices on a network, the newer devices will work at MoCA 1.1 speeds... no?

My experience is the 1.1 devices will not cause the 2.0 devices to only work at 1.1 speeds. Between two ECB6200s I get 2.0 speeds even with the TiVos and ECB2500Cs active.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!