What's new

Using BT Home Hub 2 as modem only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How you have configured your Home Hub has no bearing on the WiFi setup on the Asus. I suggest you reset the Asus and set it up again from the beginning.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I've tried everything I can think of (including setting up the Asus from the beginning) to get my ASUS router to work with the BT Home Hub 2 but it just won't provide wifi. The router works perfectly with my Draytek Vigor 130 modem so I can't understand why it won't work with the BT setup.

When you say you "can't get WiFi to work" what do you mean exactly? Can you see the Asus SSID's? Can your client connect to the SSID?

The WAN light on the Asus is red and there is no wifi available. I can see and connect to Asus SSIDs but it states "Connected without Internet".

The WAN light on the Asus is red and there is no wifi available. I can see and connect to Asus SSIDs but it states "Connected without Internet".
Sorry I can't follow what you're saying. You say there's "no wifi" but then you say you can connect to the wifi's SSID. :confused:

You also said you "can access broadband". I assumed by that you meant the internet worked from a wired connection to the Asus. Yes or something else?

The Asus' red LED means "No IP or no physical connection" according to the manual so it looks like WAN connection is not configured correctly. Can you post a screen shot of your Asus WAN settings?

The Asus is wired to my computer. When I search for networks on my phone, it finds the network setup through the Asus but when I connect it states "Internet not available". I attach a screenshot of my WAN settings but it does look the same as when I connect to my Draytek modem which works perfectly.
20201020_163332.jpg

Your WAN connection type is wrong. The home hub is still acting as your primary router and should be configured for PPPoE. The Asus is a secondary router so the WAN Connection type should be either Automatic or Static.

If you set it to Automatic you need to verify what WAN IP address it gets and make sure the DMZ setting on the primary router is the same.

If you set it to static you will have to manually enter the WAN IP Setting that match what's setup on the primary router. In the article you linked to that would mean 192.168.2.65, 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.2.1.

I assume it works with your Draytek because you have it configured as a modem only. You have not done that with the home hub (presumably because it doesn't support that). Your home hub is still configured as a modem/router, the only difference now is that you have put the Asus in its DMZ.

Last edited: