What's new

Using own domain with DNS-O-Matic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gary_Dexter

I have a domain with Cloudflare and I want to use it for DDNS - I understand I can do this with DNS-O-Matic.

I’ve added the domain to DOM, however it’s been stuck on “waiting first update” for hours and not progressing.

Can someone confirm the A and CNAME records I need to enter on the DNS page on Cloudflare to make sure I have it setup correctly?

I’m sure I’ve seen @Jack Yaz comment on this somewhere before…

Cheers!

Hi Gary

The A record should match the hostname you have set in merlin wan-ddns and DOM config (e.g. dynamic)
The CNAME should match your web server host (e.g. yoursite or *) and should point to the A record above,

e.g.
Type Name Content
A dynamic <your public IP>
CNAME yoursite dynamic.yourdomain

Note: DOM didn't work when I tried to use an API token and I could only get it to work with the global API key which is not recommended, e.g. https://developers.cloudflare.com/api/keys/

Jon

Hi Gary

The A record should match the hostname you have set in merlin wan-ddns and DOM config (e.g. dynamic)
The CNAME should match your web server host (e.g. yoursite or *) and should point to the A record above,

e.g.
Type Name Content
A dynamic <your public IP>
CNAME yoursite dynamic.yourdomain

Note: DOM didn't work when I tried to use an API token and I could only get it to work with the global API key which is not recommended, e.g. https://developers.cloudflare.com/api/keys/

Jon
Hi Jon,

That’s what I’ve done - still it hangs on waiting for first update.

Hi Jon,

That’s what I’ve done - still it hangs on waiting for first update.
can you post screenshots of wan-ddns, dom and cloudflare config?
or send them to me in a PM and I'll compare to my working config?

Last edited:
can you post screenshots of wan-ddns, dom and cloudflare config?
or send them to me in a PM and I'll compare to my working config?
2DB647D4-008B-47E5-9986-559E6FB74CED.jpeg

3BECB3E1-E618-472B-8C54-5DF4B853696F.jpeg

42CC9435-FD8A-4F6F-9A63-AF07688AB94E.jpeg

in wan-ddns config you have configured hostname as an fqdn not a hostname, so

in wan-ddns set hostname = dynamic
in dom, set hostname = dynamic
in cloud flare,
create an A record named dynamic and set your public IP
create CNAME record named www and target set to dynamic.<yourdomain>.co.uk

note 'dynamic' could be anything, e.g. somerandomword and it should work

Last edited:
in wan-ddns config you have configured hostname as an fqdn not a hostname, so

in wan-ddns set hostname = dynamic
in dom, set hostname = dynamic
in cloud flare,
create an A record named dynamic and set your public IP
create CNAME record named www and target set to dynamic.<yourdomain>.co.uk

note 'dynamic' could be anything, e.g. somerandomword and it should work
Still not working.

does the A record definitely have to be hostname?

Still not working.

does the A record definitely have to be hostname?

here's my working config,

1. WAN-DDNS (password is DOM account password):
1663608715879.png

2. DOM (API token is the Cloudflare global API Key not an API Token, which did not work for me)
1663608878215.png

3. Cloudflare:
1663608661561.png

CNAME could be www instead of *

that config looks ok to me.
I'm not sure what 'request error' relates to; is there anything more descriptive in the system log for ddns when you apply the config, e.g.
1663612662431.png

maybe try resetting your dom password, possibly some special characters it doesn't like?

I think the request error is between the router and dom but you could also try creating a new cloudflare global api key

that config looks ok to me.
I'm not sure what 'request error' relates to; is there anything more descriptive in the system log for ddns when you apply the config, e.g.
View attachment 44290

maybe try resetting your dom password, possibly some special characters it doesn't like?

I think the request error is between the router and dom but you could also try creating a new cloudflare global api key
I’ll do some more testing later when other people don’t need to use the internet :)

Didn't realize DOM can update cloudflare, or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do. In my case I update my DDNS provider and just have cloudflare point cnames for my domain to that. But I'm not using any advanced cloudflare protection features etc.

Didn't realize DOM can update cloudflare, or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do. In my case I update my DDNS provider and just have cloudflare point cnames for my domain to that. But I'm not using any advanced cloudflare protection features etc.
I've been assuming Cloudflare is the authoritative DNS / name server for your domain; is this not the case?

In my case, I am using Cloudflare as the authoritative DNS name servers for my domain with a dynamic IP, and use DOM to update an A record I created in Cloudflare (e.g. 'dynamic') and connect to my site using a CNAME created in Cloudflare, e.g. www.mysite.co.uk.

I'm also not using any features of Cloudflare other than DNS management; all my DNS records are 'DNS only'

I've been assuming Cloudflare is the authoritative DNS / name server for your domain; is this not the case?

In my case, I am using Cloudflare as the authoritative DNS name servers for my domain with a dynamic IP, and use DOM to update an A record I created in Cloudflare (e.g. 'dynamic') and connect to my site using a CNAME created in Cloudflare, e.g. www.mysite.co.uk.

I'm also not using any features of Cloudflare other than DNS management; all my DNS records are 'DNS only'

come to think of it, your screenshot from Cloudflare indicates they are authoritative for your domain

1663676443658.png

Yes they are authoritative. I see DOM can update cloudflare so essentially the same thing but using DOM as a proxy of sorts, just achieving it a bit differently. My A record sits at my dyndns provider (with their domain on it) and cloudflare just has a cname pointing my domain to that. For my current use that is all I need. If I didn't want dns lookups to show that it was redirecting to a DDNS provider then I'd look into converting to the model you're using since that hides that fact and just looks like a regular authoritative A record for your domain.