What's new

DDNS w/ DNS-O-Matic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TetterkeT

Occasional Visitor
Fun fact: if you are remotely setting up a new ASUS router and you enter your DNS-O-Matic credentials, it will overwrite your local IP address and your previously established VPN connection will stop working until you can reregister from your local network.

Hope this helps someone not make the same mistake I just made. 😡

Remotely setting up a new router isn't recommended. That was your first mistake. :)

I set up new routers without a WAN or LAN connection at all. Until they are fully updated, reset, and secured with the firmware, passwords, and SSIDs that I want them to use.

Remotely setting up a new router isn't recommended. That was your first mistake. :)

I set up new routers without a WAN or LAN connection at all. Until they are fully updated, reset, and secured with the firmware, passwords, and SSIDs that I want them to use.

Honestly I feel like networking is so persnickety that if you simply look at your router wrong it will decide to ruin your day.

I'm working remote for the next few weeks, saw the new router I've been eyeballing for months on sale, and had it shipped to my current location. Had some downtime and figured I'd save myself some time setting it up, so I could basically just plug it in when I get home.

Thankfully I have a backup drive of all of my files that I can use in the interim, but what a huge pain in my a$$. 😫

I'm giving my router ugly faces right now, just to see how it decides to ruin my day. Any particular kind of look that triggers this rude behavior? ;)

Crisis averted: I was able to engage my trusty fingerbot to remotely cycle the power on my router and it looks like upon restart it reconnected to DNS-O-Matic and updated with the correct IP address. Phew!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!