What's new

Using pihole causes the router to stop resolving

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

m33ts4k0z

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I'm currently using PiHole on a raspberry pi model 3B+ for my DNS filtering/resolving needs and I set its LAN IP address in the WAN DNS page of the router. All works good for some days but then the router randomly stops resolving addresses. The solution is then to either restart the router or set/reset the WAN DNS. My router is a AC88U running the latest merlin firmware. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I'm currently using PiHole on a raspberry pi model 3B+ for my DNS filtering/resolving needs and I set its LAN IP address in the WAN DNS page of the router. All works good for some days but then the router randomly stops resolving addresses. The solution is then to either restart the router or set/reset the WAN DNS. My router is a AC88U running the latest merlin firmware. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you try using DNS filter under lan and setting the pi to the global DNS filter buy putting it's up as custom one, then setting global filter to custom one.

Also set the pi Mac to no filtering under the exceptions.

Why don't you try using DNS filter under lan and setting the pi to the global DNS filter buy putting it's up as custom one, then setting global filter to custom one.

Also set the pi Mac to no filtering under the exceptions.

Thanks for the answer. I did that just now and I will report back if I have issues. However I wonder why all these DNS entries? WAN has one, LAN has another and now there is even a seperate tab that does a per client basis? I was under the impression that the WAN entry was "the right way" to do what I want since I want the pihole active LAN wide.

I
Thanks for the answer. I did that just now and I will report back if I have issues. However I wonder why all these DNS entries? WAN has one, LAN has another and now there is even a seperate tab that does a per client basis? I was under the impression that the WAN entry was "the right way" to do what I want since I want the pihole active LAN wide.
Leave wan as default and just set the global and the per client to no filter for the Pi or any device that I don't want filtered

The wan setting doesn't force clients to use it some clients with hardcoded DNS will bypass it.

I

Leave wan as default and just set the global and the per client to no filter for the Pi or any device that I don't want filtered

Thanks I did that. The pi is on the exceptions list below and the global filtering is set to custom 1 using the pi's local IP.

Hello,

Thanks in advance.
Here is my pihole configuration steps....
Lets start out with the router settings.......
LAN>DHCP SERVER page
Note Domain name is listed as Some-Network,
and in this scenario I have Pi-hole static ip configured to be 192.168.1.14 which resides outside of my Routers DHCP servers addressing pool, and I have it configured to the DHCP static lease list. I also have 192.168.1.13 listed as well which is the piholes wireless client that I am using for a different purpose.
upload_2019-10-30_11-31-30.png

NOTE I also advertise 192.168.1.1 for some local clients that require it, but you DO NOT have to have this turned on, it just works better for me..

DNS FILTERING RULES
upload_2019-10-30_11-33-12.png

FOR DNS ON PIHOLE
upload_2019-10-30_11-40-40.png

if you are forwarding to use DNS over TLS from the router the custom upstream DNS is what you could use.
or you can just pick any Upstream DNS server on the list * and you can stop worring about DNS at this point, but if you are Using router DNS instead you will need to use the ipv4 lan gateway address (192.168.1.1) and /or ipv6 lan address.
upload_2019-10-30_11-44-47.png

One last step

upload_2019-10-30_11-46-0.png

Remember on DHCP SERVER we have Some-Network as domain name. this could be any name you decide, but that same name needs to be used here with conditional forwarding turned on.

ALL these steps are for if you still want to use router for DHCP...

You will have the DHCP page on your PI-hole turned off

Let it be known with this setup your WAN settings should be left default and left alone, unless you are planning to add DoT servers.

Edited with more details***

Last edited:
these are an example of what wan settings could look like if you are using router for DoT
upload_2019-10-30_11-59-31.png

Remember leave wan dns configured to use its automatic dns (isp dns). Leave these settings default if you are not planning to forward back to router for dot. You leave these default because you want the router to be able to handle its own local traffic properly.

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-30_11-57-6.png
    upload_2019-10-30_11-57-6.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
these are an example of what wan settings could look like if you are using router for DoT
View attachment 19727
Thank you for taking the time to create these posts. I'm using Quad9 filtered iIPv4 DNS and I have no requirement for DoT. There is small issue that I noticed though. When I activate the DNS Filtering, I receive an email from my synology NAS that it has lost connection to the synology servers while its still online and I can access it. I dont know if the overall DNS resolving works in my LAN since Im not home right now but I will test it later tonight.

Thank you for taking the time to create these posts. I'm using Quad9 filtered iIPv4 DNS and I have no requirement for DoT. There is small issue that I noticed though. When I activate the DNS Filtering, I receive an email from my synology NAS that it has lost connection to the synology servers while its still online and I can access it. I dont know if the overall DNS resolving works in my LAN since Im not home right now but I will test it later tonight.

Maybe your NAS has to have 192.168.1.1 advertised to it on your Lan DHCP SERVER page.
Notice in my example I explained how some of my devices didn't play nice unless advertise router IP was checked.

Some devices have hard coded configurations that crash or clash with the routers user defined settings.

You could also add your nas to a static lease that resides out side of your dhcp pool and manually configure those settings on the NAS. Use dnsfilter to exclude it from the global settings with its own specified DNS like quad 9.

Last edited: