What's new

Using SMA/TNC panel mount for RP-SMA / RP-TNC? Soldering these cables?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alfa147x

New Around Here
Trying to clean some wires up and I'm looking for for a panel mount connector. It looks like most wifi devices use RP-SMA adapters. I was wondering could I just use a panal mount for regular SMA / TNC in between? Any disadvantage?

v8isC.png
or
RTImf.png

How does soldering work with these types of cables? I've soldered plenty of audio cables (including finicky 3.5m cables) but never any RF cables. Is it not worth the hassle?

Also I'm thinking about moving to TNC connectors because they're easier to connect / disconnect. Is that a bad idea?

The goal is to protect an AP that a friend uses during football games. Some how these devices get trucked during transportion / during the game. They've gone through 4 this season. I'm thinking of putting the AP in a pelican case and using panel mount connectors for quick connect / disconnect.

Thanks,
Alfa

IIRC, the difference between the SMA and RP-SMA physical connector has the center pin on the male instead of the female, and vice versa. Cables don't care what their ends are, but it matters when you you try to connect a RP-SMA end to a SMA end. All the ends (SMA/TNC/N-type) should be interchangeable provided you get the polarity right. If it's just one AP, save yourself the hassle and just buy a prefabbed cable.

AP to bulkhead connector (looks like "panel mount" is equivalent terminology) via pigtail. Bulkhead connector to antenna via low-loss cable of choice. You have the opportunity to choose which parts will fail. Make them easily replaceable. Soldering jobs do not count as "easily replaceable."

Trying to clean some wires up and I'm looking for for a panel mount connector. It looks like most wifi devices use RP-SMA adapters. I was wondering could I just use a panal mount for regular SMA / TNC in between? Any disadvantage?

v8isC.png
or
RTImf.png

How does soldering work with these types of cables? I've soldered plenty of audio cables (including finicky 3.5m cables) but never any RF cables. Is it not worth the hassle?

Also I'm thinking about moving to TNC connectors because they're easier to connect / disconnect. Is that a bad idea?

The goal is to protect an AP that a friend uses during football games. Some how these devices get trucked during transportion / during the game. They've gone through 4 this season. I'm thinking of putting the AP in a pelican case and using panel mount connectors for quick connect / disconnect.

Thanks,
Alfa
I always purchase standard or custom-length RF cables. Too easy to foul up the SWR, esp. at 2.4GHz.

Thanks for the help!

IIRC, the difference between the SMA and RP-SMA physical connector has the center pin on the male instead of the female, and vice versa. Cables don't care what their ends are, but it matters when you you try to connect a RP-SMA end to a SMA end. All the ends (SMA/TNC/N-type) should be interchangeable provided you get the polarity right. If it's just one AP, save yourself the hassle and just buy a prefabbed cable.

AP to bulkhead connector (looks like "panel mount" is equivalent terminology) via pigtail. Bulkhead connector to antenna via low-loss cable of choice. You have the opportunity to choose which parts will fail. Make them easily replaceable. Soldering jobs do not count as "easily replaceable."

I feel stupid. I didn't even think of the pigtail idea. Any good sources for that?

Found this for $3 on ebay: http://i.imgur.com/evX3c.png

I always purchase standard or custom-length RF cables. Too easy to foul up the SWR, esp. at 2.4GHz.
I was worried about the same. I'm thinking about going with the pigtail idea. That should be the easiest, cheapest and probably the best solution to my issue.

Last edited:
Lots of RF cable sellers/makers.
Professionally, I've used this company for cables and antennas:
http://www.l-com.com

fast/good, great discounts off list.

I haven't had any problems with this company either. I don't know how competitive they are these days; I'd check eBay for single part purchases if only to avoid being gouged by shipping fees.

As for the cable itself, you want the pigtail to be short as possible, but still have enough slack to avoid strain on the connectors. If that's not an option, I'd look at a lower-loss cable type.

Right... pigtails are typically very small diameter coax and thus lossy. So they're normally 12 inches or less.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!