What's new

Using smartphone with 4G to connect to host in LAN.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

p247

New Around Here
Hello everyone.

So here's the deal. I have a router with a PLC connected to one of its LAN ports with an ethernet cable. I want to be able to access this router from anywhere, also outside my home, using a smartphone with mobile internet. I've already looked into the principles of portforwarding. It turns out that the internal port, which forwards to the PLC, must be set to 80. I set the external port to 80 as well. I've set the protocol to both TCP and UDP. To my understanding, I should now be able to enter my router's public IP address into my mobile browser's search bar, followed by :80, to access the PLCs user interface. Unfortunately, this leads to a connection time out.

Does anyone know a cause and possible solution for this? I've heard people speculate you might need a 4/5G-compatible router, because the router needs to be able to communicate using the 4G/5G protocol for another device to be able to access it using mobile internet, the way I described. Is this where the solution could lie?

Are you sure your ISP isn't blocking that connection? Verizon, for example, has TOS that forbid running servers on residential connections. I haven't actually tested, but it wouldn't surprise me if they enforce that by blocking inbound traffic to common server port numbers like 80. (Even if there's not a technical block, what you want to do would be a TOS violation that could get your service cancelled, if you're using Verizon.) Dunno about other ISPs, but you should start by checking whether it's nominally allowed by your ISP.