What's new

using vpn and connecting to hulu causes error in syslog

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cooloutac

Very Senior Member
Hulu blocks my vpn, gives me a message to disable my proxy and in logs i see kernel: ERR[update_qos_data_by_mac:3585] Failed to find udb entry by skb src-MAC!

happens even if qos is off. only happens when i connect to hulu. any idea what it means?

Hulu blocks my vpn, gives me a message to disable my proxy and in logs i see kernel: ERR[update_qos_data_by_mac:3585] Failed to find udb entry by skb src-MAC!

happens even if qos is off. only happens when i connect to hulu. any idea what it means?
What VPN server are you using and what location.

What VPN server are you using and what location.

PIA with USA servers. I did at first have expressvpn and nord, but switched to PIA since it worked better with the asus router (merlin firmware policy rules). with the others I kept getting inactivity time out restarts and occasional auth fails. Tech support always ended up telling me to change my password or claimed a bug in the firmware. not the case with PIA though it works flawlessly and not a peep in the logs. Unfortunately I never tried Hulu with the other two so can't compare, but amazon and netflix do work no probs with all three.

But with Hulu the PIA never works and I get those strange messages in the syslog think I tried a dozen servers. Even with QOS off, my guess is it can't tell what type of data connection it is so throws out that it won't be able to determine qos, if turned on or not in the future.

I have a feeling HULU is extra agressive because its revenue is off ads which many vpn services filter. I'm not using the MACE DNS servers in my config. not sure what else to try.

Last edited:
PIA with USA servers. I did at first have expressvpn and nord, but switched to PIA since it worked better with the asus router (merlin firmware policy rules). with the others I kept getting inactivity time out restarts and occasional auth fails. Tech support always ended up telling me to change my password or claimed a bug in the firmware. not the case with PIA though it works flawlessly and not a peep in the logs. Unfortunately I never tried Hulu with the other two so can't compare, but amazon and netflix do work no probs with all three.

But with Hulu the PIA never works and I get those strange messages in the syslog think I tried a dozen servers. Even with QOS off, my guess is it can't tell what type of data connection it is so throws out that it won't be able to determine qos, if turned on or not in the future.

I have a feeling HULU is extra agressive because its revenue is off ads which many vpn services filter. I'm not using the MACE DNS servers in my config. not sure what else to try.
I haven't tried PIA I use Express VPN,s DNS server from Australia and have no problem with Hulu, Amazon and Netflix. I used to use LA 3 for all three when I used Express VPN,s VPN server without a problem. You may need to contact PIA and ask what location works with Hulu l know that this may not solve your problem,l just thought you needed to give a bit more information so someone else can help

I did at first have expressvpn and nord, but switched to PIA since it worked better with the asus router (merlin firmware policy rules). with the others I kept getting inactivity time out restarts and occasional auth fails.

Switching to TCP will fix this. I've had connection time of over a week on my test RT-AC66U_B1 with NordVPN.

Switching to TCP will fix this. I've had connection time of over a week on my test RT-AC66U_B1 with NordVPN.
I tried that. Are you using Nord Simultaneously on six devices? I think the issue is on their side and with the openvpn servers in general. They always in the end claimed my account was compromised or there was a bug in the firmware. I canceled the service.

Last edited:
I haven't tried PIA I use Express VPN,s DNS server from Australia and have no problem with Hulu, Amazon and Netflix. I used to use LA 3 for all three when I used Express VPN,s VPN server without a problem. You may need to contact PIA and ask what location works with Hulu l know that this may not solve your problem,l just thought you needed to give a bit more information so someone else can help
my area is prolly different. I tried contacting them already its pointless.

I tried that. Are you using Nord Simultaneously on six devices?

I run it on the router itself, I don't run it anywhere else. If you run it on multiple locations then you might be reaching the limit of allowed simultaneous connections.

I run it on the router itself, I don't run it anywhere else. If you run it on multiple locations then you might be reaching the limit of allowed simultaneous connections.

Yes but thats my point. I'm at the limit, but Nord acted as if I was over it. And if the only thing they can do is blame the firmware or tell me to change my password, it makes me think they are paranoid about people using pillaged passwords and that makes me not trust the service. I'm just pissed I actually believed them when they first told me it was the router. People on these threads were blaming the ISP or telling me inactivity timeouts were normal, even without changing servers often, but I haven't gotten a single one after switching services now.

To me its kind of like how Macy's blocks VPNs when most banks don't. I couldn't connect to Macy's.com from any vpn service server or protocol. That doesn't tell me they are security conscious, its tells me something is wrong with Macy's security in the first place that they are so paranoid about abused accounts . I can tell you right off the bat I noticed that PIA's website is way more secure then Nords and that probably translates into other things as well. Expressvpn wants to install their own firmware on the router when you reach out to them and Nords instructions on their site are out of date and a little far reaching too. PIA's instructions and config seemed to make more sense and be more simple maybe that is part of it too.

I've personally avoided VPNs for years, but with the recent things going down on the internet causing routes and dns servers to get screwed up. lagging connections and constant malicious redirects I figured its time to use one. Since the summer my phone carrier was attacked, my ISP was attacked. And after this years 9/11 internet problems I decided to set one up but I still worry about using one. At this point I feel I would of been better off using something like proton or mullvad. But i was jumping at the biggest names for fast speeds. Nord is non US and is now recently moving to dedicated servers but I still wouldn't trust them to run it right thats for sure.

Last edited:
but with the recent things going down on the internet causing routes and dns servers to get screwed up. lagging connections and constant malicious redirects I figured its time to use one.

A VPN will not protect you against any of these things.

A VPN will not protect you against any of these things.

of course it will. its not different then isp throttling. its all about the route your traffic is taking. for example when verizon fios in my area was being attacked on 9/11 and people were lagging or timing out. Verizon claimed a server went down. Those with vpns had no such issues. also everytime i was going to a certain robot vacuum website i was constantly getting redirects to fake websites asking me to install flash or just other sketchy things like claiming i had a virus. I would have to keep clicking links. Changing my DNS servers didn't fix it, but using a vpn did. And its nice to be able to constantly change servers. I almost blamed the chinese company, I thought they were corrupt and trying to infect their customers lol. Just some real world examples for you. Hey btw, glad to see you don't lag a month behind asus anymore with the firmware updates. good job. Thats crucial.

What a VPN won't do for you is make you anonymous especially when using cookies and login credentials. I'm not a believer that Https alone is all thats nescessary to protect those credentials when targeted, or even random we've seen too many cases of bad cert authorities. Neither is Tor for anonymity alone. you need both imo.

In fact, after that verizon incident i'm so paranoid its the reason I bought a new phone and router lol. both of them started acting sketchy afterwards. real talk. I'm afraid to even use that ac66u_b1 as a mesh. not even gonna attach it to the ac86u as a node. I made sure my phone gets monthly security updates now since my old one was outdated. I mean all of this is moot when you are targeted, nobody can protect themselves. Even the DoD assume they are compromised all the time. When it comes to our routers and endpoint devices we pretty much screwed even at the hardware and ring 0 levels out the box so in that sense you are right that encryption won't help but we have to at least try...

Last edited:
of course it will. its not different then isp throttling. its all about the route your traffic is taking.

The VPN traffic still has to go through your ISP to reach the VPN server. If your ISP network is under DDoS attacks or has router outages, your VPN will be just as affected.

also everytime i was going to a certain robot vacuum website i was constantly getting redirects to fake websites asking me to install flash or just other sketchy things like claiming i had a virus.

A VPN will not prevent that. If you visit a malicious site, or if your browser is infected with malware/adware, you will get those popup regardless of how you access them. You need to clean up your network devices when that happens.

The VPN traffic still has to go through your ISP to reach the VPN server. If your ISP network is under DDoS attacks or has router outages, your VPN will be just as affected.

A VPN will not prevent that. If you visit a malicious site, or if your browser is infected with malware/adware, you will get those popup regardless of how you access them. You need to clean up your network devices when that happens.

Don't know what else to tell you except that you are wrong my friend. Not only were the threads on dlsreports.com during the outage contradicting your statement. But it is the reason why it was determined to be a routing issue by the community. They only support usually 6 hops from their gateway, what goes on outside of that is sometimes not even in their control. But If what you say is true why would vpn's be advertising using them to avoid throttling from ISP's as one of their biggest selling points? In my own experience, the short time I have been using vpn, once my tv was having trouble playing the latest "the boys" episode on a friday night, most likely due to congestion. Which happens alot cause Friday is when the new episode comes out on amazon and it will only happen with that title for some reason. Changing DNS server can fix it but usually not. Threw it behind the VPN and that fixed the issue.

Regarding redirects and MITM attacks. The VPN will indeed help to prevent that. And if it happens while using the vpn you change servers. Although most of them also have filtering for such things with their dns. I'm not talking about an infected endpoints I already said nothing we can do about that especially when hardware is vulnerable out the box that probably makes ecnryption moot. But we have to try. I make my family use qubes-os to do financial and sensitive data transactions lmao. I mean you might as well just call me a liar regarding my own personal experience with the robot vacuum website. LIke I told you years ago using open source firmware for the routers use to be something people did for security and better qos management. But you are the perfect example of why that is not so anymore and it died off. Thankyou for your work on VPN policy rules though which is the only reason I'm using your firmware. But Please, don't lag a month behind the asus security updates. We are as good as got that way.

But If what you say is true why would vpn's be advertising using them to avoid throttling from ISP's as one of their biggest selling points?

Throttling is generally implemented through DPI at the ISP level. Using a VPN will bypass throttling because the traffic is encrypted before leaving your router, and therefore their DPI engine cannot identify and throttle it on a per-protocol basis. All they see is the encrypted VPN packets.

And if it happens while using the vpn you change servers. Although most of them also have filtering for such things with their dns.

That's indeed how they usually help in protecting you. You don't need a VPN for that however, using a DNS like Quad9 or Cleanbrowsing as your WAN DNS servers instead of your ISP's will help improve your network security, by blocking known malicious servers.

I mean you might as well just call me a liar regarding my own personal experience with the robot vacuum website.

I`m not. Just saying that the reason might not be what you think it is - it's more likely to be related to the use of different DNS while using the VPN, which is something that can be achieved without a VPN.

Last edited:
SO does that mean QOS doesn't work on the asus router when using a VPN?

Are those DNS servers you mentioned free? Simply changing to diff public DNS servers didn't help me in the two examples I gave. Some free ones have public filtering for diff things too like I know UltraDNS does. But the VPN helps me in all problem instances without a hitch. I think they are better maintained for that purpose. For example the redirects I was getting from the robot vacuum website. And if targeted why have an identifiable IP address to make it easier? VPN helps in that way also.

It could be indeed the VPN's DNS, which usually also has various filters. But as above I think they do the task better. It could also be the route from the gateway. For example, sometimes the VPN will fix a problem with the same DNS, when the same DNS alone does not. Such as targeted redirects and MITMS, or random. Again I'm of the belief https alone is not as secure as with a vpn. Just like tor alone is not as anonymous. And call it anecdotal, but i'm going on just the experiences I've had the past few weeks. For years all i've done was change dns servers, I've never liked using my isp's for security reasons. But that is just simply not good enough anymore man.

Last edited:
SO does that mean QOS doesn't work on the asus router when using a VPN?

I was referring to your ISP's DPI engine used for throttling, not the router's. I don't know about the router, depends how Trend Micro implement it their engine. I suspect it will only partly works if at all, since it monitors the eth0 interface, at which point there would only be encrypted VPN packets to analyze.

Are those DNS servers you mentioned free?

Yes. Some of these may offer premium features if you pay, such as allowing you to personalize the filters, add your own rules to blocked sites, that sort of thing. But they provide basic malicious site blocking for free.

I was referring to your ISP's DPI engine used for throttling, not the router's. I don't know about the router, depends how Trend Micro implement it their engine. I suspect it will only partly works if at all, since it monitors the eth0 interface, at which point there would only be encrypted VPN packets to analyze.

Yes. Some of these may offer premium features if you pay, such as allowing you to personalize the filters, add your own rules to blocked sites, that sort of thing. But they provide basic malicious site blocking for free.

i'm assuming it does work for most of the traffic even with vpn on all devices since traffic monitor seems to identify everything.

and ya vpns do malicous filtering proably better then even the premium services because lets face it many users sharing the same ip will bring malicious redirects to the light much faster and its in their best interest to lower tech calls from customers who are most likely to bring it to their attention and post about it on comunity forums. I also understand now why many users prefer monthly subscriptions so they can change services on a whim. but again, just changing your dns with your public ip is not as good as using such a dns with a vpn in this day and age.

Last edited: