What's new

Uverse 2wire gateway and asus rt-ac66u configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bob818

Occasional Visitor
I have a question and don't know where to start. I have AT&T Uverse and their 2Wire Gateway. I purchased an Asus RT-AC66U router. I want my asus router to be my "actual" router and want it to basically control my network. My goal is to be able to control where my streams are going. I don't want the asus to be just an access point, as that will defeat my purpose. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this or know of a thread somewhere?

Get into your U-verse router, usually by going to 192.168.1.254
From the home screen, Click on SETTINGS>FIREWALL tab>Pinholes and DMZ

Under SELECT A COMPUTER
select your router (should see the mac address of the router)
after you select your router, under SELECT FIREWALL SETTINGS FOR THIS COMPUTER
Select - Allow all applications (DMZplus mode)

Save

refresh router and it should receive the WAN ip address and not a local address.

I did this just yesterday and it worked fine. I also disabled the twowire WiFi, so only my AC is broadcasting. Make sure you select the MAC of the router not any other one it may have picked up.

PS: What do you mean by it didn't work exactly?

Last edited:
Sorry...I meant DHCP. I did everything above, changed the ip of the asus to 192.168.2.1. It worked at night when I did it, but didn't the next morning. I assume having both DHCP's enabled was screwing up the network. I was going to try it again, but turning off the DHCP on my ASUS. Does this sound like it will work?

I have been searching different forums and no one has an answer. It would be nice to compile a step - by - step procedure. This is a great forum.

All I did was the above instructions for the 254 uverse ip, turned off wifi, and my asus does the rest. It is in DHCP mode, but I run a lot of static routes. My asus is set to 192.168.30.1 just for the heck of it.

To go all the way back to the start.

Uverse guy installed system (I had TW before).
Asus router connected right away, and internet worked fine, which no changes.
I did the changes to the uverse router, since I didn't want it doing extra stuff
I turned off its wifi
I never power cycled the uverse router, but at some point the installer likely did when messing with the DVR's (but this would have been before any tweaks)
I power cycled the Asus
Everything came up fine after that.

Last edited:
One more strange thing I ran into with TW was when that was installed years ago, it locked to the first MAC it saw (my laptop which was hooked up directly). After that I had to clone that mac on my router for the cable modem to let stuff connect. I doubt that is in play, but figured it was worth a mention.

A few notes:

Nothing you do will ever allow you to bridge a 2Wire U-Verse modem. In other words, you're stuck with it doing all the routing as well as all its limitations(1024 concurrent connection maximum for example).

All DMZ+ mode does is allow your ASUS router to receive the 2Wire's WAN IP. It also disables the firewall for DMZ+'d stuff. But you still have the routing limitations as explained above.

I did not see you post which specific 2Wire you have or which U-Verse plan that you're on.

If you have an internet only plan(no phone, no tv), then you can replace the 2Wire with a Motorola 2310 which is marketed as being a modem only(not so by default though this can be fixed). Good luck finding one though.

If I change all of my IP addresses to static, would this help my situation? Also I have the 2 wire gateway with wireless g, hence another reason why I don't like it.

My setup so far

I had everything working, but a few hours later everything goes offline. This is what I've done...

On the ASUS router:
Changed the ip to 192.168.2.1
Left the subnet as 255.255.255.0
Left it in router mode and dhcp on
Cat5 from the 2Wire is plugged into the wan port

On the 2Wire...
Did not change the ip address or subnet
Enabled the ASUS in DMZ mode
Turned off the wireless
DHCP is on

It works for a while and then goes offline. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

I would also try disabling any PPPoE logon on the 2wire (if you are using PPPoE) and entering the PPPoE login info on the Asus. That way the router will be the one getting the WAN IP (assuming the 2wire can transparently forward PPPoE requests when in DMZ+ mode).

Merlin, I can't tell you how much this is driving me crazy. I just had to disable the ASUS so everything works...wireless g and a very congested network. There has to be something I am missing...

Also the Wan IP is set to automatic on the ASUS.

I am thinking there has to be a way for this to work with subnet masking...

Also the Wan IP is set to automatic on the ASUS.

I am thinking there has to be a way for this to work with subnet masking...

But did you try what I suggested?

As long you will have both routers doing NAT on top of one another, you will have issues.

Quite frankly, I would simply go out and buy a cheap ADSL2+ modem out there, and replace the 2wire. My last ISP was also providing with these craptastic modem/router combos, and I quickly tossed it in a closer when they left it at my place, and plugged a Speedtouch 516 configured in bridged mode instead. It's the only way to fully resolve the problem, since these modems lack the capability of being configured in bridged mode.

Screenshots?
kaVFS

zNpcy

JdmT5

X4hR0

Not much more than that, simple.

FYI I also have the 2wire wifi disabled.

Last edited:
Did you change the ip address of the ASUS? Also when I look at the ASUS on mine, the gateway is the same as the UVERSE. Does that sound right?

Thank you for the pictures. I will post mine. Thank you for all of the help you have given me so far.

The WAN address 99.7...... for my ASUS was provided by Uverse after putting my router in the dmz and releasing then refreshing the WAN (or restart router.) I changed the local address to 192.168.25.x. The gateway is the same as it is on the Uverse router.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!