What's new

V386.4 did some strange things to my RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kapitikarl

New Around Here
Hi there,
I have been having quite a few strange things that appear to be 'fixed' by rolling back to 386.3.2. For instance:
  • Cannot connect to 2GHz wireless
  • Cannot access login page without going through lots of Chrome warnings that the page is insecure
  • Cannot connect my Smart Lightbulbs int he house (probably because I cannot connect to 2GHz wireless)
  • Lots of anonymous devices connected to my wifi (now blocked) this could have been guest at our house.
I know very little about networking, but I think the first two points are the critical ones with the remaining two being somewhat ... circumstantial.

I would be interested in any thoughts or comments.

Many thanks.

Ouff, you’re referring the poor guy to a thread of 26 pages with tons of people posting about very specific to them issues with the beta, clustered together with lots of «dirty upgrade no problems here» that’s not nice haha.

Usually if you have problems with updating your firmware it’s due to old “gunk” that’s messing up the new code. Take a backup of your router, and factory reset and set up as new. if that fixes everything then you found the solution. Don’t restore the old backup as this will probably will cause the problems to re-emerge.

Last edited:
Ouff, you’re referring the poor guy to a thread of 26 pages with tons of people posting about very specific to them issues with the beta, clustered together with lots of «dirty upgrade no problems here» that’s not nice haha.

Usually if you have problems with updating your firmware it’s due to old “gunk” that’s messing up the new code. Take a backup of your router, and factory reset and set up as new. if that fixes everything then you found the solution. Don’t restore the old backup as this will probably will cause the problems to re-emerge.
I totally agree with you, but i didn't mean to be mean... I just wasn't up for reading it one more time on behalf on another...

I vagely remember some chatter about:

Asus made changes to the login part
Asus made changes to the wireless part which resulted in some trouble for quite a few smart home products, and that you had to change some settings in the wireless section.

That said, all for starting off fresh. The first thing I do whenever I try a new fw is to factory reset and manually set it up again just to be sure...

All good guys, I tried reading ... understood little and then realised it was referring to the wrong firmware version (making me less unsure if it was relevent). Planning a factory reset today, update to 386.4 again but have 386.3.2 waiting in the wings if it all goes badly. I will have a look at the link again, Jass, to see if I can find those 'wifi settings' you are referring to. Just seemed very odd that the 5GHz worked but not the 2 GHz. Cheers

Attachments

• factoryReset.PNG
    factoryReset.PNG
    111.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
After I have installed the firmware .... right. Funny i did a factory reset before installing the latest fw and it is all working now.

Complete factory resets usually fixes any problems on electronic devices from phones, to computers to routers. I tend to them every year or so. Happy your problem is fixed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!