What's new

very slow on 2.4ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I respect my neighbors, but I can't go around and tell them that you and you are going to use channel 1 and you going to set your router to channel 6 and the rest have to use channel 11. In real life this will never happen. New router will scale down from 40 to 20, but old ones will stay at 40 and pick the channels the router thinks is the best. I consciously picked my channel(#7) to minimize interference to channel 6 as people on it had the weakest signal. I was surprised that channel 7 worked better that channel 6. It shouldn't of, but it did.

This is all I'm saying.

What I see you're saying is you don't know what you're saying or you simply want to ignore what everyone else is trying to tell you.

Using channel 7 you are interfering with your neighbors on channels 6 and channel 11, just like RMerlin stated. You are helping no one but yourself.

No, I hear you, but my data shows me different. Also I'm running 20 wide so I only interfering with 6 an 8 only. My closest neighbors that is running channel 9 and 11 are not effected. Their speed is the same.

Like I said if you can explain to why my speed increases from 5 Mbps to 33Mbps( my comcast speed is 50/5) by jumping from channel 6 to 7 I'm all ears.

btw suggestion to try channel 8 and 4 came from Netgear engineer

No, I hear you, but my data shows me different. Also I'm running 20 wide so I only interfering with 6 an 8 only. My closest neighbors that is running channel 9 and 11 are not effected. Their speed is the same.

Like I said if you can explain to why my speed increases from 5 Mbps to 33Mbps( my comcast speed is 50/5) by jumping from channel 6 to 7 I'm all ears.

btw suggestion to try channel 8 and 4 came from Netgear engineer

No, you're not getting it.

http://boundless.aerohive.com/technology/WLAN-Channels-Explained.html

Look at the first graph. See how wide 2.4GHz channels are? Using anything in between interferes with channels higher and lower, regardless of what you may be seeing in your particular environment (which you're only seeing a small slice too. You would need to see all your immediate neighbor's networks simultaneously, while you were using yours to see the effects you're having).

The quote from the link above says it as clear as possible.

The IEEE standard divides the 2.4 GHz band into 14 separate channels. Channels are designated by their center frequency and how wide the channel is depends on the technology used by the 802.11 transmitter. Unfortunately, the distance between channel center frequencies in the 2.4 GHz spectrum is only 5 MHz (and each channel is 22 MHz wide), which means that the channels have overlapping frequency space.

Only channels 1, 6, and 11 are separated from each other by enough frequencies that they do not overlap.

Your speed increases because your router isn't trying to cooperate with all the other users of the spectrum in your immediate area. But at the same time, it is essentially throwing out garbage interference that the other routers cannot account or adjust for and therefore reduce everyone else's performance in your range on almost all the channels available for the 2.4GHz band.

Local interference and radiation patterns can show up as your neighbors stat's as you not interfering with your router. But I think that is mostly because you are not running a continuous test on your network on that band while testing theirs (or, their router properly switches to 20MHz channel width while your router is broadcasting).

As for the suggestion from the NG engineer? What can I say? Not everyone cares about what is right and fair for all, or, he / she may just be a low paid telephone support person and not a real 'engineer' as you think. ;)

Never bash people you don't know. It was not a telephone support person. I was dealing with engineer their level 2/3 who knew what he was doing. I had multiple phone calls with this person and "show and tell" sessions and by installing debugging fw on my R6250 and R7000. Even R7000 picks that channel when set to auto. Interference or not, it should be that big of difference from 5 Mbps to 33Mbps

Don't think of me as noob. The reason I came here is that I got AC68R and just trying to help other from my experience. There are people who works on theories and there are others who does it in life.;)

Never bash people you don't know. It was not a telephone support person. I was dealing with engineer their level 2/3 who knew what he was doing. I had multiple phone calls with this person and "show and tell" sessions and by installing debugging fw on my R6250 and R7000. Even R7000 picks that channel when set to auto. Interference or not, it should be that big of difference from 5 Mbps to 33Mbps

Don't think of me as noob. The reason I came here is that I got AC68R and just trying to help other from my experience. There are people who works on theories and there are others who does it in life.;)

I am not bashing anyone. Your misinterpretation.

Yes, he was a telephone support person. What the R7000 picks is proof (to me at least) of why you shouldn't leave channel selection on auto.

What you're not getting is that you are causing interference for others; of course your network will speed up.

I will appreciate your future help and so will others, I'm sure. But not on this issue you're not. Suggesting to others that bending the rules to help themselves will only get everyone in a mess sooner than later.

I too don't put too much stock in simple theories. I have the real world experience to back what I say too.

And don't think I already forgot how you skirted the information and links I provided in my post above.

Ignoring the facts doesn't make them untruths. ;)

To give an analogy, you are saying that it doesn't matter if you speed in the left lane of traffic, after all, it is mostly empty. And you are only endangering yourself from the reckless speeding the mechanic told you was the engine was perfectly capable of.

But we all know how that story plays out too.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. And yes, you are bashing someone by saying they don't know what they are doing.
2.4 band has been around for a long time if router manufacturers wanted to convert to 3(1,6,11) channels used schema to make everybody and themselves work better they would by now. It's not that difficult. They would save themselves trouble of people complaining that 2.4 band is slow in crowded areas.

Here is life example for you. I went to my neighbor that has his router set to channel 9 and mine was set to 7. We ran the test at the same time speedof.me. Both of us have Comcast 50/5 and we got around 54.9+-1.0 download speed. Then I move mine to 6 and his to 11 and both of us got only 33.4 Our signal strength in first test was about -41 and on second was -37. I can see that the signal strength is showing less interference, but speed test show opposite.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. And yes, you are bashing someone by saying they don't know what they are doing.
2.4 band has been around for a long time if router manufacturers wanted to convert to 3(1,6,11) channels used schema to make everybody and themselves work better they would by now. It's not that difficult. They would save themselves trouble of people complaining that 2.4 band is slow in crowded areas.

Here is life example for you. I went to my neighbor that has his router set to channel 9 and mine was set to 7. We ran the test at the same time speedof.me. Both of us have Comcast 50/5 and we got around 54.9+-1.0 download speed. Then I move mine to 6 and his to 11 and both of us got only 33.4 Our signal strength in first test was about -41 and on second was -37. I can see that the signal strength is showing less interference, but speed test show opposite.

And again, you ignore the facts presented and show how you benefit only (oh, and one neighbor too).

I'll state again that yes, you may see benefits for yourself (and that speedof.me test does not work too well for me here) and even another person or two. But the immediate neighborhood as a whole is being thrashed by your settings to non-control channels.

I can see from your responses so far that you are not here to exchange ideas. You have your mind already made up and everyone that doesn't agree with you, no matter what facts are presented, are simply wrong.

I have never said you are wrong. You misinterpreted me. I had the same believes as you, but you can't see the facts in my life and my last tests. As for speedof.me, I can do it with speedtest and dslreports and the results will be the same. I try to test at times when everybody would be online to show the true picture. Everybody's case is different.

You stick with your facts and opinions and I will with mine.

Thanks for your replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!