What's new

Virgin Superhub 3 connectivity issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks guys for your help. Virgin engineer visited today and said this sort of thing is a known issue with SH3. Said wait for new firmware due soon or run in double nat mode ie. have both routers active and cascade them. Don't know if you're then forced to have two Wi-Fis or if you can turn the SH3 Wi-Fi off.

Colin, any tips on pushing for new firmware?

Cheers

Bob.

Thanks guys for your help. Virgin engineer visited today and said this sort of thing is a known issue with SH3.
In my experience, whilst they believe what they're saying, a lot of it not always accurate.

(When I asked my engineer if it was OK now to switch it from router to modem mode he said it was already in modem mode. I showed him that it was in router mode with the Wi-Fi turned off and he said that was modem mode! I showed him that there was a separate menu option for modem mode which meant my own router would get an external IP address - he just looked blank and said he didn't know anything about computers.)

Said wait for new firmware due soon or run in double nat mode ie. have both routers active and cascade them. Don't know if you're then forced to have two Wi-Fis or if you can turn the SH3 Wi-Fi off.
Yes you can turn off the Wi-Fi on the SH3. Running the SH3 in router mode should at least stabilise the behaviour of the Asus. But I strongly suggest that once you have that sorted out you have a look at the network log of the SH3. If it's a provisioning issue it can only fixed by the VM support people, not the engineers or a firmware update.

Colin, any tips on pushing for new firmware?
Unfortunately the only thing you can do is reboot the hub occasionally to see if it has been pushed out in your area. But it should do it by itself within 24 hours of becoming available.

Are those people really called engineers?

Here we call them technicians.

And I mean no offense, but I am an engineer, and feel offended by labeling engineer a person with no academic engineering education AND associated to many anecdotes like the one below :)

Of course there are also plenty of technicians without the aforementioned education kicking the butt of plenty of engineers :)

In my experience, whilst they believe what they're saying, a lot of it not always accurate.

(When I asked my engineer if it was OK now to switch it from router to modem mode he said it was already in modem mode. I showed him that it was in router mode with the Wi-Fi turned off and he said that was modem mode! I showed him that there was a separate menu option for modem mode which meant my own router would get an external IP address - he just looked blank and said he didn't know anything about computers.)

Yes you can turn off the Wi-Fi on the SH3. Running the SH3 in router mode should at least stabilise the behaviour of the Asus. But I strongly suggest that once you have that sorted out you have a look at the network log of the SH3. If it's a provisioning issue it can only fixed by the VM support people, not the engineers or a firmware update.

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is reboot the hub occasionally to see if it has been pushed out in your area. But it should do it by itself within 24 hours of becoming available.