What's new

pfsense + Virgin Hub 3.0 disconnecting issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thedarkjester

New Around Here
I am hoping someone has some insight into this, or if I am going down the wrong path.

Recently, I switched to a pfsense setup on the hub 3.0 (in modem only mode - it was in that previously as well), and am encountering some issues which I am half certain are ISP related.

The setup is pretty vanilla other than pfBlockerNG and Suricata (Suricata disabled had the same issue, so I have ruled that out ).

For the most part, everything works fine, except the Virgin hub seems to disconnect and reconnect at random intervals with 192.168.100.1 unavailable (Gateway on pfsense switches to 0.0.0.0 and then 192.168.1.x and then WAN IP).

At first I thought it to be the pfsense install, but am starting to doubt it as pfsense itself is still available and the Virgin hub lights show blinking/connecting etc. Other WIFI routers (IOT devices and Main) are accessible through the FW.

My network has easily 10-15 devices running at any point, with pretty active traffic (depends on when people are home) and am wondering if anyone knows of limitations.

Virgin are sending an engineer out on Tuesday, but I would like to rule out everything (tomorrow I will swap to purely the Virgin hub in modem/router mode and see if that makes any difference).

This all started with the heavy storm winds, but that seems a bit weird as everything is buried.

Other steps I have taken:
1. switched the cat 6 to cat 7 cables (was planning on doing that anyway as they were shorter and nicer)
2. reseated and changed the Virgin cable to a new one that plugs direct into the modem
3. cold booted the modem
4. pin-hole reset and resync'd and then swapped back to modem mode.
5. did the reboot dance with everything (tried the modem first then pfsense, and then the other way round in case)
6. changed the pfsense gateway monitor to 8.8.8.8

Some logs (Redacted IPs)

Feb 20 22:30:44dpinger19953WAN_DHCP X.X.X.X: Clear latency 8637us stddev 1584us loss 4%
Feb 20 22:30:34dpinger19953WAN_DHCP X.X.X.X: Alarm latency 8663us stddev 1595us loss 25%

Feb 20 22:30:22dpinger25165WAN_DHCP X.X.X.X: sendto error: 65
Feb 20 22:30:22dpinger25165WAN_DHCP X.X.X.X: Alarm latency 9417us stddev 1347us loss 33%

Could pfBlockerNG or the amount of connections be bombing the Virgin modem? Anyone experienced anything similar?

Last edited: