What's new

VLAN - Device has no ip

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

moosport

Occasional Visitor
I acquired a new switch Unfi 16 POE. it is connected to existing switch HP 1810. APs are off the new POE switch.
New guest vlan 20 was setup of pfsense with rules allowing access to internet but not lan vlan. APs are configured to routed guest vlan 20 to guest network.

pfsense vm resides in vmware esx. so lan port group is configured to disable tag stripping (4095). When a device is connected to the guest vlan, it gets no IP and self assign 169.x.x.x. devices connected to the lan network has no problem getting IPs assigned from the router.

lan vlan to guest vlan ping works.
guest vlan to lan vlan ping failed.

Is anything needs to be configure on the hp switch? on the hp switch vlan tag can be assign to each port. like set the port connecting to unfi switch as a trunk port?

topology
router -> hp switch -> unifi switch > unfi APs

what are the tag assignments for the ports on the HP that the APs plug into versus the lan ports ?

You need to make sure you are not stripping tags anywhere in the network. Next you need to make sure all your network equipment is setup for the management VLAN. The management VLAN is where all IPs are assigned to the network equipment. It is also how you access all the network equipment.

Just to be clear PCs are not network equipment. Network equipment is like routers, switches, wireless APs, etc.

i logged into the HP switch and port 1-24 are assign to VLAN 1. so i need to create a new vlan 20 on the HP switch and make the port connecting to the Unfi switch member of VLAN 1 and VLAN 20, right?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!