What's new

VLAN (multiple subnets), access and routing on Single L2 smart switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ekhoo

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm doing a rural deployment (with tight budgets) for the OLPC project and for wireless, we're running PoE. The Access points are D-Link DAP 2553s. The switch is a L2 TP-Link TL-SG3424P.

There is an internet router (some rebadged d-link by the service provider).
The Access points have two SSIDs (staff and student) The student network accessed by the XOs (OLPC) units. The XOs go to the internet thru the OLPC SchoolServer. The school server acts as a router & dhcp (72.x network) and has two network ports. One network port will connect to the router. anyone on the staff network goes to the internet directly through the router (16.x network).

My plan is to configure staff network on VLAN3 and the student network on VLAN2 on the access points. On the switch side, the AP connect ports are members of VLAN2 & 3. The schoolserver inside network port will be member of VLAN3 to be router/dhcp and the outward network port be a member of VLAN 2 which the router will be part of. Workable?

Sounds workable, although I'm a bit confused about your question. Are you asking whether your plan is valid or looking for configuration advice on the switch?