What's new

VLAN Setup Asus RT-AC68U and Netgear GS105Ev2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nycelitemaster

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I am sorry if i am posting in the wrong section. I would like to set-up a VLAN for my home office.

I have 3x RT-AC68U and 1x Netgear GS105Ev2
1st Router - RT-AC68U-A is operating in Wireless Router Mode (192.168.1.1)
2nd Router - RT-AC68U-B is operating in AP Mode (192.168.1.2) (DHCP disabled)
3rd Router - RT-AC68U-C is operating in AP Mode (192.168.1.3) (DHCP disabled)
NetGear GS105Ev2 - (192.168.1.4) (DHCP disabled)

1st Router (A) is my main and is feeding wire to 2nd Router (B) which then feeds wire to my 3rd Router (C)

3rd Router (C) feeds to my NetGear GS105Ev2 is connected to port 1.

I already configured VLAN IDs on NetGear GS105Ev2 for Port 2 and Port 3 (leaving this for WORK Dock)

Port 4 and 5 are left for home printer.

I am stuck what to do from this point on.

Any help configuring from this point on would be helpful and appreciated.

there is a tutorial on setting up vlans on the site. Have you looked at it ?
Yes, but my situation is different.

I know i need to go in IPTV Tab on Asus Router and set it there.. But i have 2 routers in between my Switch.

AP Setting on my Router C doesnt allow any setting for VLAN

What are you actually trying to achieve with VLANs? None of the Asus devices support VLANs other than for an IPTV service.

Well, i have a home office, and currently it is connected to my router. i want to separate the two whereby, the devices that connect on Port 2 & 3 on my Netgear Switch, should be connecting to 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.1.1.

They both should have internet. If i am on 192.168.1.1, i can access 192.168.2.1, but not vice versa

Where/what is 192.168.2.1? You've never mentioned this before.
No where. I dont have 192.168.2.1.

That is what i want to do.

Anything that is connected to Port 2 & 3 on the NetGear switch should be on different subnet, so no snooping to 192.168.1.1 can be done.

No where. I dont have 192.168.2.1.

That is what i want to do.

Anything that is connected to Port 2 & 3 on the NetGear switch should be on different subnet, so no snooping to 192.168.1.1 can be done.
I think you're misunderstanding how VLANs work. They're not routers so they don't create different subnets and they're not DHCP servers.

Have a look at this and bear in mind that apart from the switch none of your routers have any VLAN capability. So the only way to segment the network would be to connect the switch directly to your primary router (as the only device) and then connect all of your other devices (including the access points) to the switch.

EDIT: You'd also have to disable the WiFi on the primary router.

Thank you for the reply Colin. So here my scenario.

Sorry i got the subnet mixed up with VLANs.

To further clarify, i dont mind keeping all on the same subnet.

What i am trying to achieve is
I have Computer & Bunch of Devices upstair that are connected to Router A & B via Wired & Wi-Fi
Then I have Router B feeds to Router C which than extend my wifi signals and also feeds to Netgear Managed Switch in my home office

I work from home sometime and i dock my laptop (it is connected via ethernet cable to managed switch).

I then created VLAN on the manage switch w/ Group 1 with all untagged and Group 2 with Port 1 Tagged and Port 2 & 3 Untagged

I basically want my company laptop connected on Ports (2) not be able to access my home devices.

This will not work. Everything upstream of the managed switch (basically your entire home network) does not support VLANs. So any tags or VLAN ID's will just be ignored. The router and access points have no way of segregating the traffic flowing through them.

Colin - thank you.

I think, the NetGear Switch support DHCP. So if i turn on DHCP on that Switch & change to different subnet 192.168.2.1 -> will this kill the internet for the devices connected to it?

If not, i think this will resolve the issue to some extent, because devices connected to the Hub wont be able to communicate out.

I downloaded the data sheet and the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility document and the only reference I could find for DHCP was as a client. i.e the switch can get its IP address from your router's DHCP server but there was nothing about it being a server itself.

I downloaded the data sheet and the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility document and the only reference I could find for DHCP was as a client. i.e the switch can get its IP address from your router's DHCP server but there was nothing about it being a server itself.
Thanks. I realized. I guess time to invest into new main router.