What's new

VLAN supporting main router with non-vlan supported AIMesh nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andremmfaria

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have a question related to the way that AIMesh works with different router models.

I am in need of a VLAN solution for different kinds of devices of my network (home server, smart bulbs, etc). I would like to define a VLAN for each WIFI network SSID i create on the router (that would also entail the multiple WIFI ssid's creation feature, but guest networks are also fine).

After using DDWRT for a good amount of time, I moved to using an ASUS device because of the AIMesh feature and some other things.

I have 2 XT9's that are part of an AIMesh with ethernet backhaul. As the official vlan documentation on asus website, that model do not support vlan. I am currently using the isolated network setting on guest networks for the device type isolation.

I saw a promotion on the ET12 on amazon, and according to the same link stated above, it supports the vlan feature.

My questions are:
  • If i buy the ET12 and use its vlan feature, will the XT9's support it as well, or not?
  • Will the ethernet assignment on the XT9's work for, let's say, if I put a cabled wifi repeater on a ethernet port?
  • If the ET12 does not work for my setup, what should I do? Maybe try to write the merlin distro for XT9 :D
Thanks in advance :D

what should I do