What's new

VlanID=1 on Asus RTN-66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Selpix

New Around Here
I'm experiencing some problem with vlan settings on my Asus RT-N66U. I'm curious if anyone else has encountered the same problem as me.

So I got this fiber connection from Telia (Swedish ISP). I'm currently using both Internet and IPTV (using their crappy Thomson router).
The Internet connection is on VID=1 and IPTV on VID=845.

There is an option for IPTV in the Asus that allow me to use LAN4 and VID=845. And it works great! The only problem is when i activate this option I also need to specify the VID for Internet which is 1. But that is not selectable. I only get a pop-up saying that i need to enter a value between 2-4094. So if i set Internet to VID=2 just to test, the IPTV works like a charm but of course not the Internet.

I find this pretty strange as the Internet connection works just fine without enabling the IPTV option.

Any idea would be much appreciated. Please see some attached screen shots.

Attachments

• iptv.png
    iptv.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,323
  • popup.png
    popup.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
I'm experiencing some problem with vlan settings on my Asus RT-N66U. I'm curious if anyone else has encountered the same problem as me.

So I got this fiber connection from Telia (Swedish ISP). I'm currently using both Internet and IPTV (using their crappy Thomson router).
The Internet connection is on VID=1 and IPTV on VID=845.

There is an option for IPTV in the Asus that allow me to use LAN4 and VID=845. And it works great! The only problem is when i activate this option I also need to specify the VID for Internet which is 1. But that is not selectable. I only get a pop-up saying that i need to enter a value between 2-4094. So if i set Internet to VID=2 just to test, the IPTV works like a charm but of course not the Internet.

I find this pretty strange as the Internet connection works just fine without enabling the IPTV option.

Any idea would be much appreciated. Please see some attached screen shots.

what you just did was made your wan port on the same vlan as your lan port (vlan2) that is why u have no internet.

By default, routers are set with these vlans...

wan port = vlan1
lan ports/wireless (1-4) is vlan2

what you need to do is change to the following.

lan ports (1-3) + wireless to vlan 2
lan port 4 (iptv) needs to be on vlan 845
wan port can be on vlan 3 or any number that is NOT on vlan 1,2 or 845.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Although I'm not sure if doing it right.

Please see my screen shot. Is that what you meant? Unfortunately with those settings the Internet still doesn't work.

Attachments

• vid.png
    vid.png
    19 KB · Views: 722
I have acctually managed to "solve" this issue....

Atleast its half solved :)
and i hope this might help someone else in the same situation even though it might not be the same isp, in this case when internet is "untagged" and IPTV and VOIP are tagged with an vlanid!

A few prerequisites:

*jffs filesystem enabled (or other rw and persistant storage)
*ssh enabled
*some linux knowledge would probably be nice, but not neccessary!

There seems to be some strange issue with nvram "resetting" values and not saving mine.

well on to the solution.

I edited the file Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp and put a copy on my /jffs filesystem for safekeeping, i only added an entry for Telia which is the isp i have.

The file is here if you dont want to edit yourself: Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp

Settings for this profile is as follows
Internet = 0 (dunno if this matters, since setting 1 which would really be needed kills the router...) pri 0
IPTV = vlanid 845 pri 4
VOIP = vlanid 855 pri 5

When you have my edited copy of Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp in your /jffs filesystem you should run the follwing command:
Code:
mount /jffs/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp /www/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp -o bind

After that browse to the LAN - IPTV settings page and select "Telia Sweden"
iptvsettings.JPG

press "Apply" and say byebye to the internet connection for a few seconds

Run the following commands to restore internet:
Code:
nvram set wan_ifnames=eth0
nvram set wan0_ifname=eth0
udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249

And voila.. you have IPTV output on port 4 (untested but should work VOIP on port 3) and are still able to use the internet!

The only part i cant manage is to get this to work automatically... scripts in /jffs/scripts does not work for me... i can run them manually but they do not run during bootup, or anything...

Also the nvram set stuff does not seem to presist over reboots... i think that would have solved the whole issue.
i even tried
Code:
nvram commit
after setting the wan interface names but it still does not stick... maybe Merlin or someone else might have some kind advice.

i have only had this router for less then 24 hours so maybe i can find a solution myself in a few days if not.

Last edited:

Atleast its half solved :)
and i hope this might help someone else in the same situation even though it might not be the same isp, in this case when internet is "untagged" and IPTV and VOIP are tagged with an vlanid!

A few prerequisites:

*jffs filesystem enabled (or other rw and persistant storage)
*ssh enabled
*some linux knowledge would probably be nice, but not neccessary!

There seems to be some strange issue with nvram "resetting" values and not saving mine.

well on to the solution.

I edited the file Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp and put a copy on my /jffs filesystem for safekeeping, i only added an entry for Telia which is the isp i have.

The file is here if you dont want to edit yourself: Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp

Settings for this profile is as follows
Internet = 0 (dunno if this matters, since setting 1 which would really be needed kills the router...) pri 0
IPTV = vlanid 845 pri 4
VOIP = vlanid 855 pri 5

When you have my edited copy of Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp in your /jffs filesystem you should run the follwing command:
Code:
mount /jffs/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp /www/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp -o bind

After that browse to the LAN - IPTV settings page and select "Telia Sweden"
iptvsettings.JPG

press "Apply" and say byebye to the internet connection for a few seconds

Run the following commands to restore internet:
Code:
nvram set wan_ifnames=eth0
nvram set wan0_ifname=eth0
udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249

And voila.. you have IPTV output on port 4 (untested but should work VOIP on port 3) and are still able to use the internet!

The only part i cant manage is to get this to work automatically... scripts in /jffs/scripts does not work for me... i can run them manually but they do not run during bootup, or anything...

Also the nvram set stuff does not seem to presist over reboots... i think that would have solved the whole issue.
i even tried
Code:
nvram commit
after setting the wan interface names but it still does not stick... maybe Merlin or someone else might have some kind advice.

i have only had this router for less then 24 hours so maybe i can find a solution myself in a few days if not.

So im from sweden also and got telia and i need exactly what your talking about.
But im not really educated in linux so i do not get your guide totaly.
My setup is:
Telia Fiber internet
Telia TV
Asus RT-N66U router
Im using the latest asus firmware with merlin mod atm.

So i know how to SSH in to the router.
And i downloaded your .apt file. And i shouldn't need to modify it since its the same as what i need.
I have enabled JFFS but i don't know how to write the .apt file to the jffs.
How do i transfer the .apt file from my computer to the router?
Cos after that all i need to do i copy paste your lines in your post straight of to the ssh window and set the setting in menu and it should work right?

If you could make the guide a bit more newb friendly i would be eternally great full. I REALLY dont want do bridge the crap thomson router from telia to get the iptv to work. So your fix would be almost the best thing ever.

Your help is REALLY appreciated!

Super

Dude, you're my hero! Everything else I've tried so far has failed, yours worked. Though it's a bummer I have to enable Internet after rebooting the device using ssh (or perhaps the Merlin web interface CMD form) - have you figured out any clever solution to that yet?

I'm ditching the Telia HW now, great!

/Jens