What's new

voip server gets "kernel: [BLOCKED - INVALID]" message

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bruce Campbell

New Around Here
My SPA2102 appears to be working fine with with voip.ms. The SPA2102 is behind an ASUS RT-AC68U running Asuswrt merlin 384.8_2.

The calls are clear, but I am simply curious why I see the message "kernel: [BLOCKED - INVALID] ..." exactly 5 seconds after the call starts and exactly every 5 seconds thereafter in the system log until the call ends. The voip server is indicated as the src ip in the message, as shown below:

Jan 31 13:04:34 kernel: [BLOCKED - INVALID] IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=<voip.ms server ip> DST=<my ip> LEN=92 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=61 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=10433 DPT=16714 LEN=72
... <5 seconds later> ...
Jan 31 13:04:39 kernel: [BLOCKED - INVALID] IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=<voip.ms server ip> DST=<my ip> LEN=92 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=61 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=10433 DPT=16714 LEN=72 MARK=0x80800000 <a variety of different MARK values are often shown here>

When I call from my smartphone using the Groundwire app through wifi I don't see the same message, so I assume it is something specific to the SPA2102. So, since it had been years since I adjusted the settings, I factory reset the SPA2102 and adjusted the settings according to the voip.ms wiki again. Still have the messages.

I am just curious whether anyone has seen this before and knows what is causing it ...

My SPA2102 appears to be working fine with with voip.ms. The SPA2102 is behind an ASUS RT-AC68U running Asuswrt merlin 384.8_2.

The calls are clear, but I am simply curious why I see the message "kernel: [BLOCKED - INVALID] ..." exactly 5 seconds after the call starts and exactly every 5 seconds thereafter in the system log until the call ends. The voip server is indicated as the src ip in the message, as shown below:

Jan 31 13:04:34 kernel: [BLOCKED - INVALID] IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=<voip.ms server ip> DST=<my ip> LEN=92 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=61 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=10433 DPT=16714 LEN=72
... <5 seconds later> ...
Jan 31 13:04:39 kernel: [BLOCKED - INVALID] IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=<voip.ms server ip> DST=<my ip> LEN=92 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=61 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=10433 DPT=16714 LEN=72 MARK=0x80800000 <a variety of different MARK values are often shown here>

When I call from my smartphone using the Groundwire app through wifi I don't see the same message, so I assume it is something specific to the SPA2102. So, since it had been years since I adjusted the settings, I factory reset the SPA2102 and adjusted the settings according to the voip.ms wiki again. Still have the messages.

I am just curious whether anyone has seen this before and knows what is causing it ...
You are probably logging invalid packets in Skynet.

You are probably logging invalid packets in Skynet.

I thought the same thing. So the first thing I did was whitelist the ip in skynet -- but no change. I then deactivated skynet completely -- no change. In addition, it occurred to me later that my smartphone connecting to voip.ms through wifi should also generate these messages, but it doesn't.

I have my suspicions that it is Trend Micro's AiProtection, but I checked the Trend Micro database to see whether the ip for the voip.ms server was there -- and it wasn't.

So ... I should probably just ignore it, since this is all so cryptic I probably won't learn much from the answer anyway :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!