What's new

Voxel Voxel firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry. I am still overloaded with my main job. If I miss something to answer (urgent) please post in this thread (or P.M. to me).

Thanks,
Voxel.

P.S.
kamoj thank you for your help with support!

P.P.S.
Thanks to everyone who supported this project (Xmas and NY posts). I've got some messages from Donate messaging and in P.M. Thanks guys, project is continued, no doubts. No plans to stop it.

Voxel

Last edited:
Up this theme.

I am back after long absence (again abroad). Thanks to kamoj for his help during my absence.

If there are urgent requests please put here the links.

Sorry, it is hard for me to browse everything. So it is better to remind me your requests.

Voxel.

Up this thread. My nearest plans are: two weeks of absence (abroad). Leaving tomorrow. If I do not answer something please put the link to your request in this thread.

Voxel.

Up this thread. Please be so kind to post the links of your requests not answered by me into this thread.

Stay safe,
Voxel.

I am sorry. Please keep this thread updated to push me.

Well, current situation is that I cannot change a lot and cannot make significant changes in my R7800. I am locked far away. I handle it remotely. R9000: almost similar. ORBI: well, the only what I can but not to for a long time. I cannot break Internet connection for a long time.

This situation with COVID-19 is unexpected. It changes all my plans. So be so kind to understand this. My involvement into router's FW is limited now. Sorry. Let us wait. Some time.

Stay safe,

Voxel.

In these times that the world is in lock down. Many people are loosing their life, other people loose loved ones and families are loosing their income. Know Voxel that your firmware is there active an running with a child laughing at a movie on the other end. A teen is in her or his room exploring the world. Your firmware is the foundation for others to build upon. You've created that freedom. You are a blessing in these hard times. And I am convinced that the world will change after this plague. In the world that awaits us your firmware will be even more important. The digital world will play a even bigger role and the interest to take claim over the digital world will expand.

Your foundation that people like Kamoj and HELLO wORLD expand (and Im sure allot of more people) is letting every man, woman and child take claim over their own private world.

And with this speech I want to summarize at what cost this freedom comes at.

Raw figures from I used Netgears firmware and changed to yours. At least 20 percent faster open vpn speeds. When I changed to your wireguard settings the speed went up another 15-25 percent. In fact it went up to about the same speed as not using VPN at all. When I got Kamojs addon on the router with the DNS-crypt and adblock and DNS:s that is configured in the addons I gained the another 5-10 percent speed. I have a very fast internet now, allot faster than with Netgears firmware. I also have allot better reach in my home. My own bedroom was the reason I changed router in the first place and the r9000 did not solve the problem at first. Voxel firmware did.

Stay safe Voxel and thank you.

I think that A LOT of people underappreciate what Voxel and many others do to write a sophisticated program. I'm not a programmer but I have written small scripts so that I know that this probably took an ENORMOUS amount of time. He was probably thinking it would take a day or two. But, those hours translated to days and days of programming that never seemed to end. Hours and hours of debugging one point in the code that just wouldn't work. And, those days eventually turned into weeks...and weeks into months. I think that anybody that uses his program should be gushing with gratitude. I know I am.

So, first, I would like to say, "Thank you."

The second thing I have to say is something I feel a little embarrassed to ask after making the above speech. I wanted to ask why all network-related programs take forever to execute? For example, if I click on one of the tabs to the left in the router admin page, it takes sometimes minutes to register a response. Why does it always take so long for network-related programs? Is there any way to make it go faster? As computers get more and more sophisticated, the speed on them has become amazing. I mean gigabit home networks are crazy! A home computer with an SSD can boot a computer up in 15 seconds when it used to take like 10 minutes like 20 years ago. I was just wondering if this router's admin page can similarly respond as quickly. And, if not, why? Why is it so different than other computer these days?

In these times that the world is in lock down. Many people are loosing their life, other people loose loved ones and families are loosing their income. Know Voxel that your firmware is there active an running with a child laughing at a movie on the other end. A teen is in her or his room exploring the world. Your firmware is the foundation for others to build upon. You've created that freedom. You are a blessing in these hard times. And I am convinced that the world will change after this plague. In the world that awaits us your firmware will be even more important. The digital world will play a even bigger role and the interest to take claim over the digital world will expand.

Your foundation that people like Kamoj and HELLO wORLD expand (and Im sure allot of more people) is letting every man, woman and child take claim over their own private world.

And with this speech I want to summarize at what cost this freedom comes at.

Raw figures from I used Netgears firmware and changed to yours. At least 20 percent faster open vpn speeds. When I changed to your wireguard settings the speed went up another 15-25 percent. In fact it went up to about the same speed as not using VPN at all. When I got Kamojs addon on the router with the DNS-crypt and adblock and DNS:s that is configured in the addons I gained the another 5-10 percent speed. I have a very fast internet now, allot faster than with Netgears firmware. I also have allot better reach in my home. My own bedroom was the reason I changed router in the first place and the r9000 did not solve the problem at first. Voxel firmware did.

Stay safe Voxel and thank you.

The old openwrt software that this factory firmware is based on was slow, but I'm suprised that after all these updates it's still as bad, Netgears software is quite dated, I've already said this recently, it's very slow, very clunky and looks dated... If anyone ever cracks the NSS core useage on third party software it will be a god send as the likes of the new modern openwrt interface is slick, fast, has a mobile specific version and it all just looks and acts more like something you expect in 2020, hell the stock firmware looks dated for 2010 in my opinion... But I don't think much can be done with the stock firmware, it's all too locked down unfortunately.

The old openwrt software that this factory firmware is based on was slow, but I'm suprised that after all these updates it's still as bad, Netgears software is quite dated, I've already said this recently, it's very slow, very clunky and looks dated... If anyone ever cracks the NSS core useage on third party software it will be a god send as the likes of the new modern openwrt interface is slick, fast, has a mobile specific version and it all just looks and acts more like something you expect in 2020, hell the stock firmware looks dated for 2010 in my opinion... But I don't think much can be done with the stock firmware, it's all too locked down unfortunately.

Linksys has the worst UI, if you haven't experienced it yet. It's sluggish & also settings takes quite a lot of time to apply.

Netgear has been doing good on their Newer Firmwares. Luckily the only advantage I have it is region free version, I got a good apple. This router was purchased in 2016 or 17, I don't remember now, but has been a champ and has been serving me well for past few years.

Last edited:
Tom,

"NSS core usage"? You must definitely be someone in the programming industry. :p So, I'll trust you when you say it's not something that Voxel or others can do but it's due to the manufacturer. I've bought a few routers in my lifetime and some are faster than others but they are all generally slow. It seems as if my Netgear 7800 is the worst one so far. Are you telling me that these programs could be faster but the manufacturers are just not using good-enough programmers to create faster interfaces? That seems sooo stupid. I always thought the router admin pages were slow because it was the nature of anything involving networks.

For these big companies, it can't be a cost issue, right? A programming team to write code for thousands if not tens of thousands of routers doesn't seem like a very big cost relatively. So, it must be that the organization is disorganized. For example, today, I was updating my Realtek audio codecs and I spent hours on something that should have taken literally only 5 minutes. It's crazy - Realtek stupidly didn't explain the install order of the audio codecs on their website and the result were thousands of people on the net, trying to figure out why it doesn't work! Realtek downloads are always a mess.

I guess these enormous businesses don't have a lot of competition because these devices cost so much to make. We've got to somehow get the government to loan a group of people like you make stuff like this. This would definitely fix the economy.

Youve lost me with that whole post??

What have I said Voxel can't do?? When did I say that? Voxels work is epic, Netgear sells us expensive routers that are buggy and outdated and don't give a dam. Voxel makes this router worth owning... My only complaint with it as a router is it's GUI looks dated and there's delays in doing anything, more than there should be, but most of the problems are with the basic fabric of the software which Voxel doesnt change as it's locked down by the manufacturer... He just kindly bug fixes the mess they create, and updates packages so it's as functional as possible... I appriciate his work 100%.

Currently as it stands stock/voxels is the best performing option as it's locked down firmware allows use of the NSS cores, but this means you have to use the slower dated GUI and older software packages.

Openwrt for example is now much snappier in operation, and has multiple GUI options that look and work much better than stock, some even have mobile specific layouts etc, not to mention they give much greater control of the router... But they can't currently make use of the extra NSS cores, so performance isn't as good as stock.

So people have to pick which is the better trade off, which is why I said... When someone cracks the NSS core programming it will massively help the 3rd party firmware people as it will remove the performance difference, and probably swing it in the opposite direction, as the 3rd party firmwares get SQM, software flow offloading, load balancing etc.... If they got the NSS hardware acceleration too I think they would be hard to beat... I'm not saying anything bad about Voxels work am I?

Please reread what I wrote, knowing that I was complimenting you and Voxel. I think you’ll understand what the sentences now mean immediately.

First, I complimented you by saying you must be an experienced programmer because you knew what NSS core usage was as I have no clue what it is. So, I said I would trust you that it wasn’t Voxel’s fault that the router’s software was slow and the slow speed was probably due to the manufacturer. I then proceeded to confirm what you said was probably true because, in my experience, all the routers I’ve bought were all indeed slow. Since they are all slow, it couldn’t be Voxel’s fault, right? He's only involved with this one router, right?

I then made a criticism about the industry. I remarked that it seems crazy that big companies that sell routers for tens of millions of dollars, can’t hire a simple programming team to create decent software which probably only costs $300k? (I'm making this number up since I have no idea how much a router’s software costs to make.) Tens of millions of dollars vs 300,000 dollars? Doesn’t seem to make much sense, no? Then, I gave an example. I recently tried to install a simple Realtek audio codecs and it took me an entire day rather than 5 minutes. Thousands of other customers also couldn’t figure it out as forums are filled with their complaints that the driver is defective.

After trying for hours, I finally figured it out. You had to install the previous driver and then the newest one. Realtek conveniently didn’t mention this on the download webpage. I was only able to figure it out by accident by noticing the size of the drivers. The old one was 30 mg while the new one was only 5 mg. I figured that the old one must have some “core” data and the next driver was something like an add-on. So…the same thing happened as before. Realtek makes millions of dollars but why can’t they simply pay a decent translator $50 to write out simple instruction on their webpage?

Kamoj was the only one to figure this out.

You
Youve lost me with that whole post??

What have I said Voxel can't do?? When did I say that? Voxels work is epic, Netgear sells us expensive routers that are buggy and outdated and don't give a dam. Voxel makes this router worth owning... My only complaint with it as a router is it's GUI looks dated and there's delays in doing anything, more than there should be, but most of the problems are with the basic fabric of the software which Voxel doesnt change as it's locked down by the manufacturer... He just kindly bug fixes the mess they create, and updates packages so it's as functional as possible... I appriciate his work 100%.

Currently as it stands stock/voxels is the best performing option as it's locked down firmware allows use of the NSS cores, but this means you have to use the slower dated GUI and older software packages.

Openwrt for example is now much snappier in operation, and has multiple GUI options that look and work much better than stock, some even have mobile specific layouts etc, not to mention they give much greater control of the router... But they can't currently make use of the extra NSS cores, so performance isn't as good as stock.

So people have to pick which is the better trade off, which is why I said... When someone cracks the NSS core programming it will massively help the 3rd party firmware people as it will remove the performance difference, and probably swing it in the opposite direction, as the 3rd party firmwares get SQM, software flow offloading, load balancing etc.... If they got the NSS hardware acceleration too I think they would be hard to beat... I'm not saying anything bad about Voxels work am I?

Hi, I'm running version V1.0.2.76.1SF on my R7800 and have been able to configure OpenDNS servers for DNS on my LAN. My ISP is Virgin Media in the UK and last week there were network issues in my area and the router rebooted a lot of times. My DNS now seems to be the default ISP and if I try and change just the DNS then I loose my internet connection and have to reboot all equipment including the Virgin modem.
I don't know if this behaviour started earlier and whether my DNS had been reset before this but I normally backup my configuration and restore it. My problem seems to be that I cannot change my router DNS settings only. I have to configure my IP as static as well as DNS. I did not have to do this before.
thank you
Paul

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!