What's new

VPN Port routing for a Synology NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, I am too noob. :)

Now I have seen the proper way is to upload the ovpn config file into the NAS, not in the router. And I have to create the VPN connection under the NAS LAN settings. :)

I will test this way when I arrive at home. Now I am at work.

It will work as well, I have also tested that configuration :). The only issue I had sometimes is that the NAS was loosing its connection and I had to restart the VPN connexion on the NAS itself.

Yes, I am too noob. :)

Now I have seen the proper way is to upload the ovpn config file into the NAS, not in the router. And I have to create the VPN connection under the NAS LAN settings. :)

I will test this way when I arrive at home. Now I am at work.

No, you're still doing it wrong. :)

You import the OVPN file into the computer you're accessing your network with when you're away from home.

Once you're connected to your network, you simply connect to your NAS as if you were at home. :)

No, you're still doing it wrong. :)

You import the OVPN file into the computer you're accessing your network with when you're away from home.

Once you're connected to your network, you simply connect to your NAS as if you were at home. :)
Ahhh, Ok.

Thank you.

You are mixing 2 things:
if you want your NAS to be protected by a VPN Provider (in this case ToG), you can import into the NAS the openvpn file that was generated on the ToG website .... this will connect your NAS to ToG VPN Server and your NAS will be seen as having the IP address of that ToG server.
(As you have seen, you also need to create port fwd on the ToG website to be able to access your NAS remotely as well as issuing iptables command on your router). The other way to do that is to configure the OpenVPN client on the router to access the ToG Server and then define at the router level what device will go thru the VPN and which will go via WAN.

Importing an openvpn file (that was generated by your router) into a client (PC for example) is something you do when you define an OpenVPN Server that runs on your router at home. You can then access remotely your LAN devices as if you were at home .... in this later case, since you are going to remotely connect via this OpenVPN Server at home, it is clear that you do not need to do port fwd to your NAS via ToG, but of course you always need to connect via a device that is able to run the openvpn client application and configure it with the proper openvpn config file

Last edited:
If your are in a double NAT scenario it will be difficult and at best not that reliable. I have the following setup after realizing double NAT, VPN and Plex do not mix well.

1. RT86U with VPN client and DDNS setup
2. Synology NAS running Plex and DS Drive (notes and storing keepass)
3. router set to bridge mode
4. port forwarding for Synology/Plex and DS Drive Ports
5. VPN policy - Synology WAN, all other clients over VPN

This is very reliable and it always works. Remotely I can access Plex and DS Drive using my DDNS name server. Since NAS is behind the router with port forwarding you are secure. Additionally you can enable Synology firewall for more protection. Key point here is that your router is the main access point to your Plex or DS Drive.