What's new

VPN privacy/dns leak/dns over tls diversion question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So, what happens if:

1. you remove your “dhcp-option....” from your VPN custom configuration, set your your VPN profile to Strict and instead add your NordVPN server IPs on the WAN DNS profile?

2. you remove your “dhcp-option....” from your VPN custom configuration, set your your VPN profile to Disables and instead add your NordVPN server IPs on the WAN DNS profile?

3. you remove your “dhcp-option....” from your VPN custom configuration, set your your VPN profile to Disabled and instead add the Cloudflare’s server IPs on the WAN DNS profile?

I use option 3 with my NordVPN and don’t get any IP leaks. After changing to each of these options try below to see if you get any leaks:

https://dnsleaktest.com/

(Use the extended option)

Or:

https://browserleaks.com/ip

Or:

https://2ip.io/privacy/

(click on Check and look toward the bottom where it says “DNS leak...... if it says something like “No DNS info found”, then you should have no leaks)

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I just didn't want to do number one or number two as I didn't want the rest of my traffic going to the nordvpn dns and just my VPN traffic.
So I did option three as you discussed and I noticed it shows no DNS leaking on that page on the third option.

My last q is how come when I vpn in via the vpn server and allow the cidr 10.8.0.0/24 , I can see lan but can't connect to any websites. I temporarily disabled skynet, any idea where else i can look.

Thanks for the info. I just didn't want to do number one or number two as I didn't want the rest of my traffic going to the nordvpn dns and just my VPN traffic.
So I did option three as you discussed and I noticed it shows no DNS leaking on that page on the third option.

My last q is how come when I vpn in via the vpn server and allow the cidr 10.8.0.0/24 , I can see lan but can't connect to any websites. I temporarily disabled skynet, any idea where else i can look.

Sorry, I don’t use a VPN server. But I am sure there are others in the forums who could offer some answers to your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, apologies for resurrecting this old thread but I have learnt a lot from it! Can I ask you what is the problem with having the traffic using NordVPN DNS? I have NordVPN too and have gone through all the hoops to make it work with Diversion etc. Why do you prefer to only have the Cloudflare DNS for everything?

And also... once I go with option 3 and set DNS over TLS to strict, is there any value in using Stubby?