What's new

VPN recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Have used PIA for years without an problem....any VPN out of Switzerland would be the most secure (look into ProtonVPN)

I tried PIA and found it slow with netflix however it allow me to access vpn but speed isn't good. how about protonvpn?

I tried PIA and found it slow with netflix however it allow me to access vpn but speed isn't good. how about protonvpn?

Slow in reference to what? What router are you using and what is your speed from your ISP with no VPN?

I have an ASUS AC86 and I am running two VPN clients and a VPN server.

My speed from Comcast tests at 170/12 with no VPN.

Running PIA to a VPN server 200 miles distant I routinely get 169/11.

I'm not a fanboy of PIA but making generalized statements without the underlying details isn't particularly helpful to someone asking a question.

I used PIA for years and they give me excellent speeds in the US. I have had mixed results when outside of the US. I've just started evaluating NordVPN. I have subnets set up on my router directed through different VPN tunnels. Speeds seem about the same so far actually, but with Nord some streaming works. Amazon works with some servers, but Netflix rarely works, despite the hype. If there are other Nord users setting up tunnels on the router, I'd like to compare notes.

I used PIA for years and they give me excellent speeds in the US. I have had mixed results when outside of the US. I've just started evaluating NordVPN. I have subnets set up on my router directed through different VPN tunnels. Speeds seem about the same so far actually, but with Nord some streaming works. Amazon works with some servers, but Netflix rarely works, despite the hype. If there are other Nord users setting up tunnels on the router, I'd like to compare notes.

I'm using the Xentrk script here and it allows for Netflix to bypass while using PIA VPN. Are you trying to watch Netflix US or trying to switch the country to see shows from other countries?

Here is the link to the project @Kingp1n referred to: x3mRouting ~ Selective Routing for Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. You can use the scripts to route streaming media traffic to the WAN or VPN interface.

Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and BBC are some services that block shared VPN servers. More information at Why I use TorGuard as my VPN Provider. Sorry, the pictures are not displaying in the blog posts after a recent update. Still trying to resolve.

Here is the link to the project @Kingp1n referred to: x3mRouting ~ Selective Routing for Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. You can use the scripts to route streaming media traffic to the WAN or VPN interface.

Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and BBC are some services that block shared VPN servers. More information at Why I use TorGuard as my VPN Provider. Sorry, the pictures are not displaying in the blog posts after a recent update. Still trying to resolve.
Will the scripts be integrated with amtm in the future?

Have used PIA for years without an problem....any VPN out of Switzerland would be the most secure (look into ProtonVPN)

Don't worry - if you're accessing a public VPN provider, you might as well not do this - it's still going to be public.

If you don't own both ends, it's not private...

Privacy and Security is end-to-end - anything public breaks the trust relationship.

Will the scripts be integrated with amtm in the future?
No formal plans yet. I first need to create a formal support thread for the scripts. The project has been in a soft launch the past few months. No issues with the 384.12 release. I have a Monday holiday coming up in my timezone the last weekend of July. May be as good a time as any. I'll coordinate with @thelonelycoder.

Last edited:
I can recommend Swedish VPN-service Mullvad.net. Easy payment, no logs at all, many servers all over the world, support for OpenVPN and WireGuard, great app, decent pricing, great speed.

Last edited: