What's new

VPN Server connection...Can not access attached USB drives

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnD5000

Very Senior Member
I'm running Merlin. I set up a VPN Server with the intent of being able to connect to my home system and grab files that are on my attached USB drives when I am away from home with my Android phone. I setup a OpenVPN VPN server and selected LAN Only option.

When I am connect my Android to my network by WIFI, using Solid Explorer app, I can see my USB drives. However, when I'm off the WIFI and connect with the VPN Server I can not see the USB drives.

I can connect with the OpenVPN client. I can also see that I am connected on the VPN Status screen on OpenVPN Server 1.

Can anyone offer advice on why I can not connect to my USB drives through VPN server?

Thanks

Just guessing here, but when you specify LAN only, that might be quite literal. As in on your home IP network (e.g., 192.168.1.x)! But when connected to the VPN server, you're on a different network, that of the OpenVPN server's tunnel (e.g., 10.8.0.x).

P.S. I realize now I may have misunderstood. I thought by LAN only, you were limiting the USB drive to LAN clients only. I realize now you've set this option on the OpenVPN server itself. This will require some rethinking.

I know nothing about this Solid Explorer app other than what I read in the App Store. It appears to support multiple protocols, among them FTP. Should I assume you're using FTP to access this USB drive? If so, have you limited that access to the LAN only (e.g., 192.168.1.x)? Because problems like this are usually due to firewall issues.

I know nothing about this Solid Explorer app other than what I read in the App Store. It appears to support multiple protocols, among them FTP. Should I assume you're using FTP to access this USB drive? If so, have you limited that access to the LAN only (e.g., 192.168.1.x)? Because problems like this are usually due to firewall issues.
I was using LAN/SMB (SMB2 here). I'm going to enter this as user error on my part. On the network, when you click new connection, it finds all the "Servers" and you just select from one. Apparently, when going through the VPN (which I thought meant you were on the network so it would work the same), it doesn't automatically find the "servers", so I entered 192.168.1.1 and then it works. So it is working.

Thanks for reply though