What's new

VPN services with dedicated app for routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

byyuan

Occasional Visitor
Hello all, does anybody use VPNs that have dedicated app for routers? my astrill has one for asus merlin, but i'm looking for alternatives, recommendations are appreciated!

They're the only ones that I know of.

OpenVPN being already natively supported, there is very little reason for them to develop a proprietary app that would only work on a very small number of models.

They're the only ones that I know of.

OpenVPN being already natively supported, there is very little reason for them to develop a proprietary app that would only work on a very small number of models.

Thanks, but there is a great potential. CN alone has 800m internet users, given 1% needs V*N for facebook etc. that'd be device users. that could sell 8m Asus routers or others compatible. Given $100/y for V*N, that's $800m sales.. hmmm

Thanks, but there is a great potential. CN alone has 800m internet users, given 1% needs V*N for facebook etc. that'd be device users. that could sell 8m Asus routers or others compatible. Given $100/y for V*N, that's $800m sales.. hmmm

The VPN provider gets zero money out of Asus selling more routers, why would they spend money and time implementing an addon?

The VPN provider gets zero money out of Asus selling more routers, why would they spend money and time implementing an addon?
Sorry that I didn’t explain myself clear, what I meant was - 8m (smart) routers are the infrastructure available for VPN providers to implement applets. Only Astrill is probably taking very small market share of it. There is still great potential for astrill to grow, or others to get into.
Tho others are selling services through apps on mobile devices and desktops, but the VPN on router has unique advantage (less battery consumption, ram use, cpu use..., enables non-smart devices to pass GFW, smart filtering etc etc), if marketed smartly, should become great competitive advantage or even profit points.