What's new

Wan acess Transmission

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fulvioval

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys! I'm new in this forum and wrt firmware based routers and I need a little help.

I installed AsusWRT Merlin in my AC68u and installed Transmission following this guide:
https://www.hqt.ro/transmission-download-manager-through-new-generation-optware/

Everything looks working well except for wan acess to Transmission.

192.168.1.1 -> works and acess router page
192.168.1.1:9091 -> works and I acess Transmission web GUI

mydns.asuscomm.com:8080 -> works and acess router page
mydns.asuscomm.com:9091 -> not working

I already created firewall rules like tutorial but still not working
cat >> /jffs/scripts/firewall-start << 'EOF'
#!/bin/sh
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 9091 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 51413 -j ACCEPT
EOF

I tried to WAN acess from this guide but with sucess too:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Transmission-through-Optware

The only way I found to remote acess Transmission from Wan is setting a port forward, from 19091 redirecting to 192.168.1.1:9091. How can I make work mydns.asuscomm.com:9091?

Thanks for any help

Did you verify the the firewall start script was made executable? And then ran the script?

Did you verify the the firewall start script was made executable? And then ran the script?

Hi Zirescu, thanks for the answer. I made this:

cat >> /jffs/scripts/firewall-start << 'EOF'
#!/bin/sh
EOF

chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/*
sh /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

mydns.asuscomm.com solves to public WAN ip right?
transmission web service probably only listens on internal IP with port 9091.

Run a 'netstat -nl'
If the listening address for 9091 is only the LAN IP and not 0.0.0.0 then port forward WAN:9091>LAN:9091.
If it is listening on 0.0.0.0:9091 then must be a firewall issue, or DNS. Try going to your WAN IP rather than the DNS name.
Also, I presume you are testing from an external network and not relying on NAT loopback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you look into the settings.json file? The keys starting with rpc- are your friends here... :rolleyes:

Especially you need to edit the rpc-whitelist to allow WAN access and you should enable rpc-username/password.

Keep in mind that you have to stop Transmission before editing the settings and take care to keep the JSON structure intact (and of course you should backup the settings file before editing).

entware-ng is the same as entware today the script updates to the new repo to install entware consult the asus-merlin wiki

Run a 'netstat -nl'
If the listening address for 9091 is only the LAN IP and not 0.0.0.0 then port forward WAN:9091>LAN:9091.
If it is listening on 0.0.0.0:9091 then must be a firewall issue, or DNS. Try going to your WAN IP rather than the DNS name.
Also, I presume you are testing from an external network and not relying on NAT loopback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made port forwarding from 19091 to lan 9091 and worked, but I can't do wan 9091 to lan 9091.
I'm testing from 4g network from my cel phone.

Did you look into the settings.json file? The keys starting with rpc- are your friends here... :rolleyes:

Especially you need to edit the rpc-whitelist to allow WAN access and you should enable rpc-username/password.

Keep in mind that you have to stop Transmission before editing the settings and take care to keep the JSON structure intact (and of course you should backup the settings file before editing).

I settings.json I change RPC-username and RPC-password. rpc-whitelist has default value "*.*.*.*" and setted "true". Is this correct?

entware-ng is the same as entware today the script updates to the new repo to install entware consult the asus-merlin wiki

Hum...there is diferences installing Transmission from differents repos? Sorry for this questions, but I never user WRT router, until last week I'm using a TP link router with basic firmware.

To install entware and transmission I have to format my external HDD and start fresh?

yes start fresh and entware is better and keeping things up2date

the maintainers are here on the forum also :) so if there is an entware issue its really easy to get in contact with em

yes start fresh and entware is better and keeping things up2date

the maintainers are here on the forum also :) so if there is an entware issue its really easy to get in contact with em

Great! I'll start fresh. Do you have a tutorial?

I'm only did with Optware because of tutorial for Transmission install.

have the best tutorial there is, the wiki :)

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki

let me know if anything is missing

Hi swetoast. I made installation with Entware but I still can't acess from wan at por 9091. My firewall-start have following lines:

#!/bin/sh
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --destination-port 51413 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --destination-port 9091 -j ACCEPT

I'm already done:
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
/jffs/scripts/firewall-start
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission start

try opening the ports under wan > port forwarding in the webui

too see if transmission is running type

Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission status

try opening the ports under wan > port forwarding in the webui

too see if transmission is running type

Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission status

I set port forwarding 9090 to 192.168.1.1 : 9091 and now I can acess from wan throught mydns.asuscomm.com:9091.

Only strange thing is when acess mydns.asuscomm.com:9091 works fine on PC or Tablet but in my mobile phone web open but I can't see any torrents that I have...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!