What's new

Wan aggregation on Asus AX86s running Merlin 386.5_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

debt

New Around Here
First I would like to say I have a somewhat simple setup with about 20 devices on an Asus AX86S AiMesh as router with AC86U as node. The node is wired backhaul. I live where internet options are not the greatest. I currently have T-Mobile wireless ISP and another wireless ISP provider. Wireless ISP's are not the most reliable. I currently have dual WAN set up with the T-Mobile as primary connection and the other ISP as failover. I have to say that the failover has been pretty decent. Takes about 10-15 seconds to switch to the backup and only about 5 to switch back to the primary. For our purposes that works great. Our speeds are not the best; T-mobile about 80mb down, 5 up; the other provider 15-25 mb down, 4 up. I wanted to try the WAN aggregation to get better speeds. Am I understanding WAN aggregation correctly - setting this up as aggregation rather than failover would give us better speeds? Thanks. It seems pretty easy to setup - connect 1 modem to WAN and the other to Lan 4 and enable WAN aggregation and disable current dual wan failover setup. Am I missing anything? Thanks.

Am I understanding WAN aggregation correctly
No. WAN aggregation requires two Ethernet connections to another (single) device that also support link aggregation. See the FAQ: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039053

- setting this up as aggregation rather than failover would give us better speeds? Thanks. It seems pretty easy to setup - connect 1 modem to WAN and the other to Lan 4 and enable WAN aggregation and disable current dual wan failover setup. Am I missing anything? Thanks.
To combine two different internet connections from two different ISP's you would have to use Dual-WAN in Load Balance mode. https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011719

Thank you for the fast reply. Might try load balancing. Read it did not work too well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!