What's new

Wan disconnects, IPv6 and terrible uploads (RT-AC68U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mal68

New Around Here
Hi all

I've been having trouble for about a month with my RT-AC68U

My initial problem was that randomly one day the internet started dropping every 1-2 minutes. I checked the router page and the wan was disconnecting.

I called the provider and they suggested it was my issue and told me to update firmware which I did. I updated to the latest merlin at the time and as it had been a while I did a factory reset and manually input my port forwarding etc. This didn't help but shortly after they called and said they had had more reports of other users on rt-ac66u with the same issue that day. Later that night they provided a 'fix' which was to change my IPv6 settings from 'disabled' to 'native'. This fixed the wan disconnects but they could not tell me why and they couldn't tell me what had caused the issue in the first place. They also reassured me that it wouldn't cause issues.

Anyway over the last few weeks I have had dropouts but my connection has been pretty poor. Some more poking around today and I've discovered my upload is non existent on anything that is connected to the router by ethernet. Wifi devices seem fine for the most part. I've just seen in the router settings that these troubled devices are connecting via IPv6.

Again I updated the firmware and did a full factory restore. I tried with IPv6 disabled but the wan disconnect issue persists. I have not put the rest of my settings in, just the basics, but I have no upload on my main pc, I have to connect via wifi to do anything. I have swapped out the ethernet cord with the same result.

1. Does anyone know of a way to stop the disconnects without enabling IPv6?
2. Or does anyone know how to prevent device on ethernet connecting via IPv6?
3. Or does anyone know how to improve the performance of these devices that are connecting via IPv6?
4. Could it be that the router is stuffed?

Cheers appreciate you helping me

OK somewhat of an update to this, apologies for giving some wrong info in the first post.

After monitoring it for a bit longer I've noticed that some devices are connecting via IPv6 on wifi. Family suggest these devices have been patchy over the last month.

This does not explain the main PC which connects via IPv6 on both ethernet and wifi, but appears fine on wifi and unusable on ethernet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!