What's new

WAN DNS vs LAN DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Manny_Cavalier

New Around Here
I set up a Pi-hole in my home network and I just want to know where to put my Pi-hole's IP - should it be in my LAN DNS or in the WAN DNS of my router? If on the LAN, what should be then on my WAN DNS? And vice-versa, if it should be on my WAN DNS, what should be on my LAN DNS?

I set up a Pi-hole in my home network and I just want to know where to put my Pi-hole's IP - should it be in my LAN DNS or in the WAN DNS of my router? If on the LAN, what should be then on my WAN DNS? And vice-versa, if it should be on my WAN DNS, what should be on my LAN DNS?

on my asus router i put the pi-hole address in the lan dhcp settings. in the wan dns settings I just put any public dns.

you could put in either one but putting in lan dhcp settings will differentiate between devices with their host name. If you put it in wan might just come up as the router, and you don't really have to put anything in the lan dhcp.

When you setup your pihole you configured which DNS servers it should be using. So if you point your internal systems to the pihole as their DNS, they'll resolve through your pihole which itself resolves through the servers you configured, the router is not in the loop (from a DNS resolution perspective)

As cooloutac said, providing the pihole as the DNS server is done easiest via DHCP, by providing it to the LAN clients.

I would still fully configure the router (i.e. with the DNS servers you want) in case the machine running your pihole has an issue, you can quickly fall back to the router as your DNS.

My $0.02