What's new

WAN IP change - suggestions/tips tricks/beta testers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Another sugestion: possibility to run a script WHEN IP change is detected.
Ill contemplate this, in reality you could just have your own script and call it in wan-event but I still havent figured out if DHCP WAN IP changes even invoke a wan-event call for those that would be affected by those events. My IP hasnt changed recently and Im not about to force a renew to see. So this script might be the only option for those types of IP change

And maybe you can use another file (wicens.conf) to store user vars, because each time we update the script, we have to manually configure everything again... :)
This would definitely be a version 2.0 as would require editing a majority of the script control functions. Im not sure how much freetime Im going to have between now and the new year, but the thought has crossed my mind as well

And would any devs like to see the Emailing portion of this script forked out into its own script? Could simply pass an email file name as an argument or something and use the Emailing code to send notifications from other scripts?? (this would be a 2021 project)

Another sugestion: possibility to run a script WHEN IP change is detected.

Ill contemplate this, in reality you could just have your own script and call it in wan-event but I still havent figured out if DHCP WAN IP changes even invoke a wan-event call for those that would be affected by those events. My IP hasnt changed recently and Im not about to force a renew to see. So this script might be the only option for those types of IP change

When I saw this comment, I immediately thought of @Martineau and the ChkWan script (checks for connectivity)...

Thanks @Maverickcdn !

I used to occasionally have the problem where my WAN IP would change and the DNS TTL settings wherever I was connected caused it to refuse to update my DDNS for a few hours. I just added a line in my /scripts/ddns-start script to request a specific PHP page on my Web server. That request triggers the PHP script to send an email with the IP that made the request.