What's new

WAN<->LAN throughput of Airport Extreme (802.11ac)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Charlie

New Around Here
I feel as if I must be missing something here, so thought I'd ask for some help.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme (802.11ac) router. The firmware version is 7.7.9, which I believe is the latest available. Reading the review of my router on this site—and reading around various forums—I see that its WAN to LAN throughput rate is around 325mbs, and its LAN to WAN throughput rate is around 685mbs. This, in theory, is a problem for me, because I have a Gigabit network in my house, and I have "Gigabit" internet (which in practice is 940mbs down, and around 40mbs up). Ideally, I'd like to be able to get full speed from my internet connection, even though at the moment there are few circumstances in which I can imagine it mattering.

In practice, though, it doesn't seem to be a problem, because I in fact seem to be getting full speed from my internet connection. When I run a test on the macOS version of the Speedtest.net app on my Mac Mini (SSD, connected through PCIe), I get 940mbs download speed. I get exactly the same results running the Google Fiber test, too. The setup is this: Coax cable from street -> Netgear CM1000 Gigabit modem -> Airport Extreme (802.11ac) -> Netgear Gigabit Managed Switch -> Mac Mini.

If the Aiport Extreme were only throughputting WAN to LAN at ~325mbs, wouldn't I be getting only ~325mbs on the speed tests (assuming everything else was equal)? And if not, why not, given that the test is supposedly measuring how fast a file is being downloaded from the web to a device on my LAN? I can only think of three possibilities here:

1) The Airport Extreme's WAN to LAN throughput has been altered by the firmware updates installed since the SNB review.
2) Both Speedtest.net and Google Fiber's speedtest aren't actually testing the speed directly, but are simulating it in some way.
3) I am missing something big/don't understand the modeling in the SNB review, and am therefore looking at this the wrong way.

Any light anyone could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

C

And what's the problem?

The AP Extreme AC's have been decent performers over the years... and pretty much any platform based on the Broadcom 802.11ac Wave 1 reference platofrm - e.g. Asus RT-AC68U, Netgear R7000 and the like are going to perform about the same.

Airport's have some nice stuff - but so do the others - just different markets.

Getting closer to gigabit WAN - surprisingly enough, go with your ISP's gateway for normal home usage - it's built to meet a certain service level, and if you need "extra" credit for thing, put a router/AP into it's DMZ.