What's new

WAN - NAT Passthrough? Client VPN Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ds5686920

Regular Contributor
I have a RT-AC68U router. The WAN - NAT Passthrough page states 'Enable NAT Passthrough to allow a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection to pass through the router to the network clients.' This seems to say these settings are for outside vpn requests into home network. However, to get my iPhone F-Secure Freedome VPN to work while on my home network I had to ENABLE IPSEC Passthrough. This is odd because my MacBook uses Freedome too and it worked fine with IPSEC Passthrough DISABLED. First, isn't this wording confusing? And Second, why the device differences?

What caused the problem was my router melting down so that I had to do a hard reset and reload the firmware from the miniWebBrowser interface.

I think the wording is indeed misleading because some of the services on that page aren't even related to VPNs.

RMerlin said in this thread that disabling some of those options actively blocked traffic. He later pointed out that nowadays clients usually have a way of working around the NAT problems.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!