What's new

WAN over WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rooby

Regular Contributor
Hello

I have a RT-AC87U and today I have connect it to another AVM router with a modem inside using a LAN cable on the WAN port (bridge mode). Since the location where the Asus router is placed is not optimal so I would like to moved them into another room and enable the WLAN on the AVM router and "connect" it to the WAN via WiFi.
But I still want to have them fully seperated and the firewall should be still enabled between these routers like they where connected before with the cable.
Is this somehow possible to configure?

Last edited:
Wifi client mode is not supported by Asuswrt.

As Merlin states, this is not supported with AsusWRT.
It is a feature called WISP and quite a number of routers support it. "It" being the ability to connect your WAN using Wifi to another Wifi network.
Search specifically for the WISP feature when researching routers.

Thanks for this Info, this is exactly what I would need but I was not aware of this WISP feature. Anyway, I want to stay with my Asus router so I have to find another solution. Maybe a small WiFi repeater connected to the WAN port.

How far apart are the routers going to be? What are the WiFi capabilities of the 'AVM router' (N or AC class and how many antennae/streams)?

If they are closer than about 25', buy either an RT-N56U or an RT-AC56U (depending on the AVM capabilities) and use the small router in bridge mode to the ISP router. Wire it directly to the WAN port of the RT-AC87U and you should now have what you want, except in a wireless flavor. ;)

Yes this would be a solution but then I have 3 full routers with 3x power consumtion. The problem is today I need the AVM "Fritz Box" as modem and connection to my DECT phone. The AVM router is an AC type. Unforunately my internet connecton is quite slooow (16Mbit). I do not need so much speed for the internet connetion. But your idea is good maybe I get a cheap used one for the WiFi bridge.

3x power consumption. :)

Still, 'all' of them, less than a single monitor (24" or larger).

What connection does it give to your phone? Doesn't the RT-AC87U offer you ways to use voip over your ISP connection too?

Yes 3x hot routers 24h, they a quite hot :). In Germany we pay quite a lot for our "green" power.....

Unfortunatly I have no IP phone so I connect them to the analog phone output of the AVM router. It s also not possible to connect directly to the DECT base of the AVM router. The problem is I have a DECT headset without keys so I have to dial on another DECT phone but on the AVM router it is not easily to tansfer from one phone to another.
It seems every router has its own restrictions and I need 3 ones to get full support of all the features I need.:(

Yes 3x hot routers 24h, they a quite hot :). In Germany we pay quite a lot for our "green" power.....

Unfortunatly I have no IP phone so I connect them to the analog phone output of the AVM router. It s also not possible to connect directly to the DECT base of the AVM router. The problem is I have a DECT headset without keys so I have to dial on another DECT phone but on the AVM router it is not easily to tansfer from one phone to another.
It seems every router has its own restrictions and I need 3 ones to get full support of all the features I need.:(

As usual, it is more complicated than it first seemed (to me). Hope you get it working as you need.

(The RT-N56U sips power compared to the RT-AC56U. With a 16Mbps ISP connection, it is more than enough 'router'. The determining factor will be if it has the range and the throughput at that range to be useable (I'm almost 100% positive that the RT-AC56U will be).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!